1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

ISO input on a few basses...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jwitzend, Feb 8, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Sting Ray

8 vote(s)
    88.9%
  2. Ibanez SR800

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Ibanez SR1300

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Warwick Corvette

1 vote(s)
    11.1%
  1. jwitzend

jwitzend

Sep 21, 2013
    Bismarck, ND
    Hi. I'm looking to add another bass. Not much opportunity to play these basses in person...so going off research alone. Currently play a Fender American Jazz Elite. Neck feels pretty good. Play a fair mix of rock, Pop rock, and a little metal. Basses that are catching my eye are the Music Man Sting Ray, Ibanez sr800 or 1300 series and maybe Used Warwick Corvette, if deal is good. I know ultimately "in hands" is always best gauge but any input on any of these for playing live and recording would be very appreciated. Thanks for reading.

2. rockdoc11

rockdoc11

Sep 2, 2000
    If you've been playing and liking the Jazz bass, my guess is that you'd be happiest with one of the Ibanez basses.

I like a somewhat smallish neck also, and have found that neither the Sting Ray nor the Warwick felt very comfortable.

jwitzend likes this.
  3. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone.

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I voted Stingray. You have a Jazz Bass. You add a Stingray. You then have two time tested classics.

73_Blazer, MobileHolmes and jwitzend like this.
  4. MobileHolmes

MobileHolmes I used to be BassoP

Nov 4, 2006
    Iowa
    I have (among others) a Jazz and a Stingray. The stingray really cuts in a mix, and is super punchy. I play the jazz more, but the ray has tons of personality.

jwitzend likes this.
  5. jakka1

jakka1

Jul 19, 2012
    Kansas
    Key here is do you have to have a Jazz profile neck or not? If so a Stingray probably isn’t the bass for you. Unless you get a Stingray with a SLO Special neck which is more like a Jazz.
    I love Stingrays but early on the neck was a deal breaker until I learned about SLOs.
    Playing live & recording Stingrays definitely cut through the mix & are a great option for you. Unfortunately I don’t have any experience with your other choices to compare. I have owned Warwick’s but not a Corvette. Key here is I believe all of your other choices have thin necks except the Stingray.

jwitzend likes this.
  6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 15, 2021