ISO music for Ellington's Money Jungle album

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by MikeBarber, Nov 10, 2005.

1. Does anyone have any charts for any of the songs (other than Caravan) from this amazing trio album?

None if the Fake Books I have contain any (except for Caravan).

For those who are not familiar: Duke Ellington, piano; Charles Mingus, bass; and Max Roach, drums. Simply amazing.
  2. Perhaps a track list would help, eh? :p Titles in bold are those which I really want the most.

• Very Special
    • A Little Max
    • Fleurette Africaine
    • Rem Blues
    • Wig Wise
    • Switch Blade
    • Caravan
    • Money Jungle
    • Solitude
    • Warm Valley
    • Backward Country Boy Blues
  3. deaf pea

deaf pea

Mar 24, 2005
    Cuernavaca 1 hr S Mexico City
    Seymour Duncan/Basslines SMB-5A Endorsing Artist
    Yeah, that record really changed the way I saw and heard things when it first came out! An old guy like Duke playin with the "youngins" (at that time at least). I remember that I transcribed some of those tunes then (it was like 40 years ago!). I recently saw Fleurette Africaine and Warm Valley when I was looking for something else, so I know I have those two. I'll take a look, see if I can find any more of them.
  4. Hey, that would be far out! Thanks!
  5. Adrian Cho

Adrian Cho Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    Little African Flower (Fleurette Africaine) is in the Real Books (one or more of the old and new volumes).
  6. Ha! Indeed, it is in the Real Book 5th Edition on page 8 (as African Flower). Never occured to me to look under English translation.

7. Anonymous75966

Jun 29, 2004
    I believe Ellington gets all the composer credits on the record, or split credits on the standards (Caravan, Solitude) ... which always led me to assume that most of that record was jammed out in the studio. I could be wrong though & I don't actually know very much Ellington. But my guess is for most of the tunes yer gonna have to write your own charts. It's good for us, like vegetables.

I've been meaning to transcribe stuff from that record myself, it is truly awesome. I first heard it on college radio years ago & assumed it was some current free jazz, my jaw hit the floor when I found out who it was. I've had fun blindfold testing people with it - bass players usually get Mingus, but nobody I know's ever guessed the piano player.
  8. i've got a semi completed transcription of Just a Little Max, threw that one at my drummer, thought it would be a nice duo presentation, the amazing slower downer software, that's where it's at, Mingus doesn't pull it off in that tune but that crazy fuzz buzz he gets by pulling the string over the fingerboard, truly awesome, i did another solo transcription of Tensions and he does it in there, friggin' meat hook hands
  9. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    This is one of my next two CDs to pick up. I've had a recording of "Caravan" for ages, and it *blew my frickin' mind*. Absolutely crazy. At the moment, my current focus is more on transcribability, so I'm not sure if I should go for the "total awesomeness" of this one or something a bit more accessible, but either way, I have GOT to get this CD.
  10. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    fwiw... A friend up in Boston (saxman Charlie Kohlhase) told me that Ellington had to cajole Mingus to do that session. Apparently he promised him they would do some Mingus tunes. Things didn't go as planned, and he ended up getting really aggressive with his bass lines.

Guess it worked!