ISO Neck for Squier CV 50s P-Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by akrachanko, May 23, 2019.

1. akrachanko

akrachanko Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Western Pennsylvania
    Not too long ago, I picked up a Squier Classic Vibe 50's P-Bass, and I sort of fell in love with the sound right away. I actually ended up redoing the electronics with American parts, and tossing in a split '51 Lindy Fralin pickup, and I've never heard a sweeter sounding instrument (especially when paired with my Ampeg PF-50T).

While it sounds great, I've never been crazy about the neck. I like playing on jazz basses, so to me, it feels like, well, a baseball bat. I would like to get and put on a new neck with a jazz nut, and a thinner profile, but, it's likely going to have to be custom made since the bass has a square heel, and questionable scale. Putting it next to my American Fender Jazz, the frets don't quite line up. The (average) distance between the nut and the bridge saddles is just slightly different, which concerns me a bit looking for a neck.

I wanted to create this post to maybe see if anyone has done anything that worked, or know where I can go to get a neck for this thing? I love this bass, and a neck I like would take it over the top. I appreciate any help or comments anyone has.

Here's a pic, just because I know how much this community likes pictures. :thumbsup: The Squier on the left, and my Mod Shop Jazz Bass on the right. Despite looking slightly different, both are Lake Placid Blue.
    IMG_20181110_143810.jpg

alanloomis1980 likes this.
  2. vaesto

vaesto

Jun 21, 2010
    Hi. I'd trim the neck' back to the desired profile with a belt sander. Then refinish. In case of a failure stratosphere sells these necks so getting a backup is still possible.

3. akrachanko

Mar 9, 2014
    Western Pennsylvania
    Thanks, I'll definitely consider this. I already took the finish off the back of the neck since I don't like lacquer, and I hadn't really thought about slimming it out myself. PArt of me would be worried to mess it up, and necks aren't exactly the cheapest.

One thing I forgot to mention in the original post is that I'd like to get a neck that doesn't have the lacquer on the neck + fret-board. The back of the neck lacquer is easy to remove. The fret-board lacquer is another story.

4. MD

MD

Nov 7, 2000
    Marin Co. CA.
    Doesn't Warmoth do this kinda thing?

5. akrachanko

Mar 9, 2014
    Western Pennsylvania
    They do, but sort of don't. Warmoth doesn't make any bass necks with a square heel. I gave them a call a while back and figured that out. Musikraft will make necks with a square heel, but I'm just worried that I'd order one, and for some reason, it wouldn't fit, or it would fit, but the scale would be off to the point where it couldn't be setup properly. I should probably get out the caliper and get some measurements. I'm going to try to do this when I get home from work today. I've done it before, but don't remember where I wrote everything down...

6. CallMeAl

CallMeAl

Dec 2, 2016
    Ithaca Ny
    I'm a jazz neck- P bass fan myself (non-tele style however) In my various threads and research on the topic, sanding down a neck wasnt exactly frequently suggested, but enough times that it seemed easy enough (though time consuming)

Also stop by the tricked out squier club! You Might find some help there. In particular, @EdBo has a whole mess of teles.
    Tricked Out Squier Club Part 3

Good luck!

7. vaesto

vaesto

Jun 21, 2010
    This will quickly end up with very dirty-looking neck. And maple is not easy to clean then...

8. EdBo

EdBo In Memoriam

May 10, 2015
    Springfield, Ohio
    *Peace be with You*
    I have chopped down a couple Jazz necks. This one has a nut width of 1.470" slightly smaller than a Jazz and so much fun to play. It has a rounded heal but I plan to cut a new pickguard to hide it. I'm not aware of anyone producing a thin Jazz style neck with a square heel except the Fender Custom Shop Dusty Hill Bass and it's possible to find one for $3000.00.
    I did this Pre Carpal Tunnel surgery because the Jazz size necks were more comfortable for me. Post surgery I've really don't mind playing my 50's CV and because I have the Seymour Duncan Custom Shop Stinger Stacked Pickup in it, that Dusty Hill and Sting use, it's preferable.
    Crookedasse.jpg
    TELES1.jpg

9. So funny! I just acquired a Squier Classic Vibe P yesterday. Today, I bought the same Lindy Fralin pickup and plan on redoing the controls with American parts.

Great minds...

akrachanko and EdBo like this.
  10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 28, 2022