1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Isolate Bass cab for Live situations..

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by nitrofix, Dec 12, 2018.

1. nitrofix

nitrofix Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Miami Fl
    canvas.

Hey Guys, just a couple of quick questions for you, I'm thinking about miking my bass cab cause I just not digging the sound I'm getting from the PA out of my amp DI from my Rumble 500, What I want is the sound coming from my cab to be the sound coming out of the PA.. with our setup on stage my amp is right next to the drums and guitar amp, within a couple feet. So my question is do you think I would need something like this to isolate my sound and not get as much bleed from the guitar amp/drums ? and (i know it's been covered a million times) what mic would be the best to use, Shure Beta 52/ AKG 112,...ectsome swear by kick drum mic's and some hate them..I really appreciate any advice I can get...Thanks

2. It's 4 months until April 1.

Your gizmo looks like something you might use in a studio.

Plain old heavy duty dynamic mic for you. Full range and flat response. Cheapest is Akg P2. No kick drum mics need apply.

todd burns, jmon, gmarcus and 3 others like this.
  3. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011

I advise against using a kick drum mic because they have a lot of baked in EQ that will give you a scooped sound.

If price is not a big deal, I would recommend an Electro Voice RE20. This mic is unusual because it doesn't develop proximity effect when it is brought close to a sound source, so you can put the mic right on the speaker and the low frequencies do not get exaggerated. This mic does not have a super tight polar pattern so you may get some bleed.

A lower cost recommendation is the Audix D4. This mic has a hypercardiod pattern. It will have better rejection, but will also be more sensitive to placement, and the low frequency response will become more pronounced due to proximity effect if the mic is placed extremely close to the speaker.

4. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2013
    SEPA
    Have you considered just getting a better class of DI?
    Maybe something with a cab sim...

5. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    IMHO, this will provide the best isolation, but not necessarily capture the true sound of the amp and speaker.

Some cab sims essentially just shape the signal with EQ, so there is no reason the audio tech should not be able to make a regular DI sound a bit closer to the sound of the amp.

6. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2013
    SEPA
    Yes, some do. However, IR-based CabSim DI's are readily available.

Wasnex likes this.
  7. Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger Feel Like A Stranger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    There’s so many issues inherent with micing bass cabs and so many great DIs that it really really isn’t worth the trouble. You are not going to get a consistently good sound with a mic. Get yourself a quality DI. The DI on the Chinese Rumble is an afterthought and I’m not surprised you’re unsatisfied. If you want to spend some money get a REDDI. It will sound infinitely better than a mic on that Rumble. No question about it.

8. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    So which ones do you like?

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Well I can't argue with the last part, but you absolutely CAN get a consistently good sound using a mic on a bass cab.

10. chuck1073

chuck1073 Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2003
    Preston, CT
    Please, don't use one of those sound-shield things....for anything. They're marketed for vocal/VO purposes and do nothing more than soak up your money and screw up the sound of your voice and mic. They're sold as a cure for a poopy sounding room. They don't work. If you want to to mic your bass amp, a bullet proof dynamic mic like and RE-20 or PL -20 is a good route. Personally, I've always had better results with a DI. Most of those that are built into modern bass amps do a fine job. If you were in a recording situation, I might have other suggestions but, for live applications....don't over think it.

Clutchcargo and Wasnex like this.
  11. Stranger Danger

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    Ok maybe you CAN but it’s way easier and dummy proof to do it the other way.

Manticore likes this.
  12. Stranger Danger

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    It’s simply not worth the trouble

13. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The only trouble I ever had with it was from whiny fader movers who had no business running sound for bands who refused to allow it. That's the only reason I use a DI these days. And I had to buy a $750 DI to be happy with it!

14. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    I use my amp for personal monitoring rather than to get a sound, so I normally prefer to run my bass straight into a DI. But some players consider their rig an essential element of their sound.

If the player is using his/her rig to produce distortion, I would prefer to use a mic and DI mixed together Also, I am not a big fan of using a post EQ amp DI :vomit:. I'd rather have a mic, so at least I have something reasonably close to what the artist is hearing.

These are just general preferences...every situation is unique and should be considered separately.

15. bearfoot

bearfoot SUSPENDED

Jan 27, 2005
    schenectady, ny
    You get one of those little mic stands for drums and cabs. No need to isolate the cab. There will be some bleed, but its obliterated by your bass. The mic is going to be set on very low gain as it is inches from the speaker, which is presumably cranked. So there is not much going through that mic when you're not playing. Then there is usually a compressor/noise gate on the PA end of things, if needed. Just don't kick the mic, that will get you frowned upon.

16. TheLowDown33

TheLowDown33 Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2009
    NJ
    Easiest Remedy? Omnicabsim. Easy, dependable and repeatable. Not sure if you're a "pedal guy" but if not, just leave it on top of your amp. Hand the xlr out to the sound guy, plug the 1/4" into your amp. They just came out with a mini version too, in case that's more your speed.

Rickter likes this.
  17. ficelles

ficelles

Feb 28, 2010
    Devon, England
    Why use a cab sim when there’s a cab you can put a mic in front of? Mic or plain DI, or preferably both.

18. mesaplayer83

mesaplayer83

Jun 27, 2017
    I bought a D4 this past year for miking bass cabs, and really like it...

Rickter and Wasnex like this.
  19. mesaplayer83

mesaplayer83

Jun 27, 2017
    This...

JimmyM likes this.
  20. Tim Skaggs

Tim Skaggs

Sep 28, 2002
    I had a sound guy tell me once that a microphone doesn't "hear" a cabinet the same way a pair of human ears hears a cabinet, so don't expect to stick a mic on your cabinet and get the same thing you hear out of your amp coming out of the PA.

He said he could get closer to my amp tone out of the PA with a signal from a good direct box than he could with a signal from a mic. Then he proceeded to show me by having me play my bass into the PA via direct box with my amp off & listen to it myself. He couldn't really duplicate my amp tone, but he did get a really bass tone out of the PA, and it was similar to my amp tone. He said he could also get a good tone using a mic, but preferred a direct box because it was cleaner, and usually hotter.