1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Isolating an issue in the crossover

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DiabolusInMusic, Oct 6, 2013.

1. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

I have a static sound coming from a cabinet when I play, particularly loudly but I think the cabinet being cold is actually the biggest cause of the issue as it seems to go away when warmed up and I cannot replicate the issue in my basement but it happens if I leave the cab in the garage for an hour.

The static seems to go away when I turn the tweeter off, but I had the horn tested yesterday and it doesn't have static on its own. That is why I believe the crossover is having the issue. I reseated all the spade clips on the subs, none of which are blown, I also looked at the horn control solder points and they appear smooth and shiny. The crossover itself looks fairly simple but they silconed the **** out of this thing to hold it in place so I really don't want to fudge with it. Is there any further way I can isolate this issue? Any good troubleshooting advice is welcomed.

Thanks in advance!

2. Could be that you have a cold solder joint on the crossover board. I'd reflow all the joints on the board.

3. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

+1 if it is not on warranty. Get the silicone off and reflow it all.

4. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Definitely not on warranty.

Well I guess that is where I start, probably just going to take it into a pro on tuesday but I would rather save the bread as I am selling the cabinet.