Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

isolating bass with winamp

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by bassuser35, Jun 26, 2004.

1. bassuser35

bassuser35

Mar 25, 2004
    hey, i was wondering if it is possible to isolate a bass line from a song with a program like winamp, using for instance it's graphic equalizer. anyways, is it possible, and if so, what settings does everyone use to accomplish such a task? cheers

2. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    You can't really "isolate" it, persay, but you can indeed use the EQ to find the bassline a lot easier, and to bring it to the forefront. I find the "full bass and treble" EQ preset works pretty well for bringing out a bassline and cutting the sonic fat, as it were. There's still all those annoying drums and guitars and vocals, but the bass is a lot easier to hear.

3. Right. In order to actually "isolate" the bass track you would need a music editor/recording software such as Protools or something similar.

4. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    Get some good quality computer speakers w/ a subwoofer.

I have Creative Labs' Inspire T2900 which I got for about $50. Very good value, not as clear and compact as my roommates JBL Creature IIs, but comparable.