Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Israel Crosby

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by precision61, Mar 13, 2003.

1. Hello
    Recently, I just read somewhere on internet about Israel Crosby. Some bassist cited him as influence.
    Could anyone have information about him?
    Thank you very much

2. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
  3. Thank you, Francois.
    That is a great source.

4. mflaherty

mflaherty Supporting Member

Oct 9, 2001
    You might have read my post on the 2xbass list about Israel. I have been listening to "Ahmad Jamal - Live at the Pershing & The Spotlight Club" and "George Shearing - Jazz Moments". Both CDs feature Israel and Vernel Fournier, a great drummer with a strong New Orleans feel.

To me, Israel is all about taste and discretion. He never wastes a note. His latin-ey ostinato vamps are usually the highlight of the tune.

The Ahmad CD inspired me to get serious about doublebass a couple of years ago. Lately I have been on a kick of learning standards. I pulled out the Jamal and Shearing CDs because they are full of standards, but everytime I hear Israel, I quit playing along and just stand there thinking "So that's what it's SUPPOSED to sound like".
    ;)

5. Thank you for your information. After hearing the sample on Cdnow.com ("But not for me" and "Moonlight in Vermont"), I fall in love with his playing. I will order this cd soon.