Israel Crosby

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by precision61, Mar 13, 2003.

1. Hello
    Recently, I just read somewhere on internet about Israel Crosby. Some bassist cited him as influence.
    Could anyone have information about him?
    Thank you very much

2. Thank you, Francois.
    That is a great source.

3. mflaherty

mflaherty Supporting Member

Oct 9, 2001
    You might have read my post on the 2xbass list about Israel. I have been listening to "Ahmad Jamal - Live at the Pershing & The Spotlight Club" and "George Shearing - Jazz Moments". Both CDs feature Israel and Vernel Fournier, a great drummer with a strong New Orleans feel.

To me, Israel is all about taste and discretion. He never wastes a note. His latin-ey ostinato vamps are usually the highlight of the tune.

The Ahmad CD inspired me to get serious about doublebass a couple of years ago. Lately I have been on a kick of learning standards. I pulled out the Jamal and Shearing CDs because they are full of standards, but everytime I hear Israel, I quit playing along and just stand there thinking "So that's what it's SUPPOSED to sound like".
    ;)

4. Thank you for your information. After hearing the sample on Cdnow.com ("But not for me" and "Moonlight in Vermont"), I fall in love with his playing. I will order this cd soon.