1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Issue Identification

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by glennc, May 11, 2006.

1. glennc

glennc

May 6, 2006
    Hello,
    I've purchased a bass quitar (Precision style) which exhibits certain characteristics. In a learning process (mine) I was wondering if someone could help me identify the issues by guiding me through things to check/measure and such. Some of the issues may be major or minor and opinions on there relative status are welcome. But I'd like to learn to identify them and "how" especially.
    1.) One issue is that the E-String is markedly farther from the side of the neck than the G-String. 2.) The string to pickup pole pieces are notably shifted to the right (looking down). The E eclipsed the inside pole by 35%, A and D are just touching and the G is approx. the strings' width past midpoint on it's pole pieces. 3.) The bridge appears rotated slightly clockwise and the saddles all seem tilted to the right. 4.) The strings at the nut seem level but the height of the nut to the fret board is higher at the E side. 5.) It is also thicker on the E side tapering to the G, appearing as if it is crooked to the neck.
    I've numbered them to ease any responses. There are more items, but the above seem to be adequate to initiate dialogue.
    Thanks for those that can and possibly will help.

2. glennc

glennc

May 6, 2006
    Hello Joshua,
    I understand the difficulty in diagnosis via the internet. What I was hoping for was instructions/direction in identifying an issue as a problem. Reference #1 How can I check to see if it is the nut or the neck out of alignment? Either would I assume:meh: affect #2. Is the string alignment out because of above or pickups improperly located. How could I check? Is the fretboard supposed to be equidistant to the top of the nut or is the E side lower (farther away from the top of the nut ((where the strings go))) than the G String. Is the nut supposed to be wider( in thickness) on the E string side which gives the impression if not the reality of it not being parallel to the first fret wire. About knowing how to check and can I produce pictures both are currently negative.
    I don't know if you have the time or patience to assist as I would like. I'd like to learn how to check, what to check sort of thing. Thanks for the attempt!
    Yes to the inexpensive (under $200). The disposition of the bass is not in question (will return) so much as an expansion of my knowledge.
    Glenn

3. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    1 and 2 could be caused by the neck shifting in the neck pocket. This is common on instruments with a sloppily cut neck pocket. It can easily be corrected by loosening the neck screws, inserting a thin shim on the side of the neck in the neck pocket close to the end, then retightening the neck screws.

4. glennc

glennc

May 6, 2006
    Hello 62Bass,
    I guessed that it might be a/the problem. The neck pocket touches the neck at the outer edge. But I can get a piece of paper in about a 1/16th past it, toward the body. In machinery there is usually a 0 point on the print, from which accurate measurements can be taken. Can't figure one on the bass as there may be tolerance stacking. I am trying to get pictures, do you know of a free picture hosting site?? Initially I wanted to learn bass (inexpensive as I don't know my resolve) and upgrade it (sounds like fun!!!). This particular item has issues that surpass my none-existent capabilities.
    That's why I appreciate the assistance, no place to go but up!
    Have you noticed the problem with the nut width and height above the fretboard? Thank you for your time!
    Glenn

5. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

Mar 6, 2005
    日本/Alyeska
    +1 here.

My Strat suffered from this problem really badly.:(

6. glennc

glennc

May 6, 2006
    Hello Akami,
    Thanks for confirming advice. Since the bass is being replaced luckily I won't need to do the repair. Other than those issues it seems like a well built/ good looking guitar. If such a repair is done are there anything specifically to watch out for?
    Take care...
    Glenn
    Added pictures (not very clear)
    This shows the strings and neck
    http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-5/1179920/neck1.JPG
    This shows the nut top angle/size issue
    http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-5/1179920/nuttop.JPG
    This is the fretboard/nut height question
    http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-5/1179920/closesidenut.jpg