1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

issue w/new Bartolini 8CBP Pbass pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Dignan81, Apr 3, 2013.

1. Dignan81

Dignan81

Feb 17, 2005
    St. Louis, MO
    I didn't have any real issue with the standard pickups that came with my Fender PBass but I didn't think an upgrade to the Bartolini 8CBP pickups could hurt. If it could give me a bit more tone then it'd be a good upgrade. I had the luthier/tech at Guitar Center perform the upgrade along with also replacing the standard bridge with a Fender Big Block Bridge. The tech at GC has always done a great job working on my different basses, I've never had an issue and I trust him. Plus he gives me a friends & family discount for his services.

The issue I am having is that since the upgrade to the Barts my D and G string seem quieter and have lost their balls. The great thing is that my E and A strings have never sounded better with more growl, and just more balls. I absolutely love the way my E and A strings sound now and are exactly what I wanted to achieve but when I go up to the D string it is noticeably quieter and just lacking in every way. The G string doesn't seem as bad as the D but compared to the E and A strings it too is noticeably quieter and just leaves me wanting more.

Is this what I should be expecting from these particular pickups? Could it be an issue from the install that could possibly be corrected?

2. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    Hoe close is the D-G side of the pickup to the strings?

3. 02Pete

02Pete

Aug 26, 2010
    Ask the Guitar Center tech to try using the adjusting screws to raise the D-G pickup higher and closer to the strings. That might provide more volume from those strings.

4. Or you could do it yourself. You push the strings down at the last fret, 21 or 24 and then measure the distance between the bottom of the string and the middle of the pickup. A metal ruler with half millimetres on it is great for this. In Australia we use metric. D and G 2.5mm and E and A 3mm. Seems to work for me anyway. Bartolini 8CBP is meant to be higher output.