1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Issue w/ SWR cab purchased at GC. Opinions?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BoomBoomOGTL, Aug 23, 2012.

1. I got a great deal on a pre-Fender SWR Goliath Sr. cab ($375) I had ordered from another store at GC and there's a minor issue. I picked it up yesterday and once I got it home and unpacked it, it looked good, I plugged it in and played through it for 15 mins and everything sounds great (or so I thought…)

One of the drivers (of the 6) vibrates sympathetically with EVERYTHING. I didn't notice it at first, then at lower volumes I heard it buzzing (while I was playing through it). I then unplugged the cab to play through an 8x10 Carvin I had in my space to make sure it was the cab and not my head (Boogie 400).... and the 1 SWR 10" still buzzed the same when it was unplugged and I was playing through a different cab. This is pretty much at all frequencies. I have a 100W 15” Ampeg combo, played that and the SWR driver buzzed on the other side of the room, even at low volumes. I pulled the speaker, inspected it, checked it w/a DVM, all looks just fine (dust cover and surrounds are well intact, DVM read 8 ohms as it should) and the driver sounds fine other than the damn buzzing. No loose dust cap or tears in the surround, I'm stumped.

So.., now I need to decide. Do I simply take it back to GC and get my $$ back w/their 30 day cash back guarantee or do I buy a re-coned speaker of the exact model that's causing the issue for $70, pushing the total cost of the cab up to $450??
    Would GC pay the $70 for the re-coned speaker or give provide a current Eminences currently used by SWR?

What would you do?

2. Any thoughts, folks? I'm trying to decide what to do and figured there would be a lot of opinions on this situation. Thanks.

3. You could see if Guitar Center will give you credit for the cost of re-coning the speaker. Explain to them that it's either that or your returning the whole thing....I bet they go for it.

4. wcriley

wcriley

Apr 5, 2010
    Western PA
    Any/all drivers will vibrate sympathetically when not plugged in. But they shouldn't make a buzzing sound unless they're damaged.

Have you tried gently pushing in on the cone? If you hear or feel "scraping" the voice coil is deformed and the driver is shot. The fact that you read 8 ohms with a multimeter instead of something like 6 ohms leads me to believe that's the case.

5. wango55

wango55

Dec 21, 2011
    CT
    +1 Especially since you're well within the 30 day exchange period - they should be willing to comp the cost of repair.

6. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    If not this, look to be sure the fine two wires from the spade lugs to the cone aren't touching the cone along their length. I've replaced a speaker for this reason. :) Sounds like an audible buzz.

7. craig.p

craig.p

Sep 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    When you hear the vibration, press on the FRAME of the speaker at several points where it contacts the baffle board to see if the noise disappears. I'm thinking a slightly warped driver basket, or a non-flat (or warped) baffle board. If there's a brace behind that speaker, it might be slightly out of spec, causing a hump in the baffle board.

8. craig.p

craig.p

Sep 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Oh, something else to try: Lay the cab down on its side and see if the problem's still there.

9. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Or lay on your side and see if the problem is still there.:)

10. I did push in the cone and the travel was smooth with no noise. And I was generalizing about the impedience, I believe the meter read around 7.1 ohms when I measured it at the lugs.

I played w/the cab on it's bottom, side and back and it still vibrates. When you crank up the amp, you can't hear the buzz at all (probably b/c everythign in the room is vibrating) but at low volumes, it buzzes like a swarm of (fairly quiet) bees.

I did speak to an AM at GC this afternoon. He coldn't okay the deal but told me to call back tomorrow and talk to the mananger who could authorize the credit for a recone. He stated it's a deal they could likely do, he just couldn't make it himself.

This would be my preferred method of resolving this and will probalby purchase the re-cone regardless...

11. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Are you positive it's the driver? That cab has a metal grill, right? Maybe it's vibrating right near the speaker? Or something loose within the cab?

12. No, it's defintely the driver. I had the grille off diagnosing it, and while it was vibrating/buzzing I dampened the cone w/my finger and it went away...

13. GC CS rocks. They credited me the full cost of a recone so I'm defintelty happy with the outcome.

14. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    Make sure that whoever does your re-cone uses the correct kit for that specific driver.

15. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Did you check the tiny speaker leads going from the lugs to the cone? They can rest on the cone and make quite a buzz. You have to pull that speaker to see. This happened on my SWR. Cheap instant fix!

16. Yes, that was one of the first things I looked at after I pulled the from the cab speaker to test it and visually inspect it.