1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Issue with Conklin bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Slug Shell Basist, Mar 3, 2021.

1. Slug Shell Basist

Slug Shell Basist Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2014
    Wisconsin
    So I've had my Conklin 7 string for about 11 years now and everything has been fine up until this last week when during a jam session the sound would just begin to dim and slowly distort. I changed the batteries in it and the same thing continued to happen. I took it to my shop guy who said he thinks its the preamp but isnt 100% sure so I was wondering if any of you guys have had this issue before. I know the pickups tend to go bad pretty fast on these basses so if that the issue? IDK anything helps guys!

2. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Australia
    I haven't heard that and I've had mine (GT5) for 15y or so. I always thought the PUs were passive but I've honestly never looked. It's getting a resting on the W/E and a full set up, so I'll look then and check.

3. dwizum

dwizum Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2018
    This is my diagnostic process for a situation like this.

0) (assumption is this step has already happened) Go over the wiring with a fine toothed comb and make sure there are no obvious faults - stray shorts, bad looking connections, corrosion, botched repairs from the past, etc. Extra attention on the jack itself. Check continuity with a cable inserted. Wiggle it. Make sure the jack is good. Also make sure the battery clip is good, and there is 9v (more like 9.4+ for a fresh battery) present at the preamp. Jacks and battery clips are natural wear items.

1) Disconnect pickup wires from wherever they go (i.e. a selector switch, blend pot, etc).
    2) Disconnect the signal wire from the jack. Your preamp is now removed from the circuit.
    3) One at a time, wire each pickup directly to the jack. Test play for a while. See if the issue is present.

If the pickups play fine wired directly to the jack, then I would tend to agree with your tech that the problem is in the preamp. If a pickup does not play well wired directly to the jack - well, it's the pickup.

Slug Shell Basist likes this.
  4. Slug Shell Basist

Slug Shell Basist Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2014
    Wisconsin
    Thanks I'll definitely give this a go!

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 9, 2021