1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Issue with G&L L-2000

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by mcontour, Jan 16, 2012.

1. mcontour

mcontour Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2008
    Roanoke, Virginia
    Just got my L-2000 back from the repair shop. Luthier did a fine job lowering the ski jump on the upper end of the fret board....even was able to replace the original frets. I'm very happy with the action of the neck.

Luthier also told me he cleaned the pots as they were scratchy.... I didn't think twice.

Got home and started playing the bass and noticed a new weird issue that was not there before. It seems that the neck pickup is now microphonic to hand touches. If I tap on the pickup with my finger, the sound comes out the amp. When I spin the pots and hit the end of rotation, the noise comes out the amp. If I wrap on the body with my knuckles, the sound comes out the amp. The bridge pickup is perfectly silent if I tap on it.

The microphonc issue is affected by the volume and tone pots, so the problem seems to be with the pickup or its wiring, before the pickup selector switch. I traced all the wiring and all wires connect where they should and are not broken (that I can tell).

I removed the 3 screws and lifted the pickup out of the body. There are two pretty stiff springs under the pickup to push it up against the screws.

Any suggestions on what could be the issue?

Thanks in advance for any input you may have.

Michael

2. Growly Lytes

Growly Lytes

Dec 4, 2009
    Downunder Oz
    Bass player
    Maybe a wire has come loose on the pickup.

3. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    Spring ping is common on the G&Ls. Get some foam, cut up mouse pad, weather stripping, etc and cut it up and put it in the springs. He probably adjusted the pickup height and got the springs in a spot where the ping. This is a common complaint. When Leo first released the G&Ls, they did have a damping material in the springs.

4. Growly Lytes

Growly Lytes

Dec 4, 2009
    Downunder Oz
    Bass player
    Take them springs out & replace with the foamy stuff that everybody uses these days.Its black soft foam or sponge & can be bought @ the hardware store.When it looses its body just cut another piece & your back in action.

5. mcontour

mcontour Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2008
    Roanoke, Virginia
    Well, the saga continues....

I pulled the pickup from the body with the wires still connected. The pickup is microphonic to the touch without being in contact with the springs or body.

I'm sure I could send it to someone to have the internal problem diagnosed, but I just ordered a new replacement.

Thanks for all the recommendations. I appreciate the community effort!!:smug:

-Michael