1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Issue with pickups on Yamaha bass

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by MycooLeeyun, Oct 30, 2018.

1. My 1984 BB2000 is having an issue which I've already tried to address with my guitar tech.

The issue is that while I'm playing with both pickups on, it will switch to only the bridge pickup without me moving the switch. Then if I switch to only neck pickup it has little to no signal.

The tech installed a new switch and re soldered the wires and of course it's still happening.

Here is a video of an example:

Can anybody give me any suggestions on how to fix this issue?

2. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    No video, there.

Does this bass use a Switchcraft type leaf switch? If so, it is a pretty simple fix by just re-bending the tabs that the tip of the switch (underside) pushes against to make/break contact. No need to replace it with what may be a faulty switch by your "tech" given you say the problem still exists.

3. Sorry, video should work now. I had it listed as private on youtube.

I don't know anything about the inner workings of my instrument, honestly.

4. Jeff Scott

Apr 11, 2006
    Can you post a photo of the control cavity to see the backside of the switch?

Looking at the video now it seems you may have a bad P pickup. Measure the DCR, if you can, at the leads of that pickup.

5. Hey thanks so much for your help. I got a new switch and it didn't solve the problem. The tech went back in and found that there was a bad soldering job on one of the wires on the pickup. Everything is working perfectly now!

6. Jeff Scott

Apr 11, 2006
    Thanks for the update.