Issue with "ringing" on NS-Design piezo!

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by bassisten, Feb 2, 2005.

1. bassisten

Sep 15, 2004
    Bergen, Norway
    Hi guys!

I've purchased a NS EUB a while ago and I've encountered a problem.

The thing is that when I play across the strings and really diggin' in, I get a resonance "ringing" from beneath the bridge.

I heard about the problem from a friend that encountered the same. What do you do to make up for this? Have you experienced it too...?

Now I've mounted some cloth where the strings meet the body beneath the bridge, it works, but the looks are not cool.

Heeeelp... :hyper:
  2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I think I've mentioned before that amplification is crucial to getting the NS basses to sound anything like amplified DB - when I play mine through a 15" Hartke cab I own it just sounds like BG - but when I use my EA VL 208 it sounds really acoustic, to me. :)

I have played through other amps at Jazz Summerschool - when there were too many amps on stage - and then I have noticed this ringing feedback thing. I think you need an amp that is neutral and doesn't emphasise any particular frequencies - like a lot of bass guitar amps do.

So - Trace Elliott are definitely "coloured" and emphasise certain frequencies that are suited to BG and a lot of BG players love them for this - but I hate it - I just want to hear the sound of the bass!! ;)

Whereas EA (Euphonic Audio) gear, for example, amplifies (very?) neutrally and so you just get flat response.

So - with flat response this "ringing" doesn't seem to be a problem...?
  3. allthumbs

Dec 30, 2004
    South Devon, UK
    Interesting, I've never encountered this problem with my NS. I do tend to dig in a bit, but the overall amplified volume is usually fairly low so maybe that's why.

As the length of string from the bridge to the body is fairly short and the body of the bass is solid, it's hard to see where there would be much opportunity for resonance. Does reducing the volume help? Or adjusting the EQ? Or standing further away from the amp?

Maybe if using a piece of cloth solves the problem you could do something to make it less obvious - a discreet strip of black material wound round the strings may be more pleasing to the eye than a bright yellow duster (which is the only piece of material I generally have to hand at a gig).
  4. bassisten

Sep 15, 2004
    Bergen, Norway
    Hi guys...

Just to make it clear, this is NOT an amp-issue, it's the bass that has the 'ringing' to it. But thanks for suggesting...

I'll just go on with my cloth... :crying:
  5. Bruce Lindfield

Well if it's not the amp then I have no idea?

As I said - I have experienced a kind of ringing feedback from amps aimed at BGs - how do you know it's not amp-related? :confused:

If you mean this happens even when you play un-amped - then I have never had this happen with my NS CR5...:meh:
  6. I've had a little bit of this issue, but mostly only with bowing. Have you changed the stock strings; they are especially ringy it seems to me. I just got one recently (and have actually learned to use the ringing as a good effect) the problem, if you will, seems to be that the piezos are very sensitive so when these stock strings make tiny, barely audible acoustic noises they get picked up, then put through the amp, which actually increases the ringing if the note is sustianed as the waves from the amp get the ringing going even louder. The way I solve this is by using both the magnetic and piezo's equally and turning down the treble, (I like that sound anyway), this means that the amp doesn't get that ringing going. Or change the strings.
  7. Bruce Lindfield

That's a good point - so I changed strings to Pirastro Flexocor orchestral strings and they have a much darker sound than those originally on my CR5 - which would probably contribute to avoiding what you describe.
  8. bassisten

Sep 15, 2004
    Bergen, Norway
    Hmmm, sounds interesting with those strings.

I'll purchase a set when I've got rich... :bassist:
  9. thejimfactor

May 9, 2005
    I just had the same ringing happen on my E string of my NS EU6. I e-mailed NS (who are extremely responsive BTW) and here's what they said:

“Sounds like “string whistle” as they call it; due to a defective winding. Changing the string should clear it up.”

I'm going to change it this weekend and see what happens.
  10. D.A.R.K.

Aug 20, 2003
    no problem with strings ringing here, using helicore hybrids on cr5m
    i did encounter something similar, but it was the stand....
    the arm which mounts to the bass would vibrate slightly inside the lower part of the tripod stand, causing a ring-like tone.
    i simply wound the lower part of the mounting arm once with 1 layer thick of electrical tape, it made it snug and stopped the tiny rattle.