1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Issues effecting volume?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by johnfowles, Sep 28, 2008.

1. johnfowles

johnfowles

Jul 31, 2008
    Hi all,
    I've been playing my new bass more and more recently and I think it may be a bit quiet. It's an 1880 German 3/4 that has been converted totally left handed (Bass bar, sound post, everything internal).

I'm using the Corelli strings, which to start with seemed really really loud. But everything just seems quieter now.

This may be a huge question, but could this be strings, bass, glue...?

Any advice would be great.

Cheers,
    John

2. Salty

Salty

Oct 24, 2005
    New York, NY
    My initial thought is that it has to do with climate changes. Has the humidity suddenly jumped in your area? I notice you're in the UK where I assume it's pretty humid most of the time?

The way you describe the issue it could be that...

The other options are that the soundpost may have moved slightly, your bridge may have moved slightly (either tipping up or down or even side to side if you've mistakenly banged it around) or you may be noticing a sharp decline in the Corellis after use - how long have you had them on your bass?

The last thing I can think of is yes, a seam separating or a crack somewhere.

If it remains a problem, a trip to the luthier may be in order.

Good luck!

3. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    I'll go one step further and say that a trip to a luthier IS in order. :)

4. johnfowles

johnfowles

Jul 31, 2008
    right. That's all I needed. Cheers community.