Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Issues for tuning up a full step (Fender Jazz)

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Nedmundo, May 9, 2005.

1. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I'm filling in for a bassist who's wife smashed his axe :eek: , and one of the tunes calls for high E past the 20 frets on my old school Fenders. Of course, the gearhead solution is to seize on the excuse for new gear and get a good 22+ fret bass (Lakland, anyone?), but I'm thinking about tuning up a full step to see what happens.

I'm sure I'll need to watch neck relief closely, and make trussrod adjustments if necessary. Also I assume light gauge strings would be better to reduce the tension.

Any other adjustments I should make or issues I should watch for?

2. You've just about covered everything, I would also suggest getting a string that has less tension, like Thomastik-Infeld TI's.

Also watch the nut if you are changing string guages, smaller or larger guages can cut grooves in the nut that shouldn't be there!

Have fun and let us know how things go for you!

[​IMG]
    Treena

3. Marcus Willett

Marcus Willett Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    Endorsing Artist: Bag End - Dean Markley - Thunderfunk
    A much cheaper gearhead solution is to get a neck with an overhung 21st fret, which will give you that E and still fit your Jazz. Warmoth, for example.