Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Issues Forum?

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box' started by burk48237, Feb 9, 2006.

1. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I know that many of us our stung from the TPA experience and some of us miss it. I personally miss the give and take when we were discussing issues, not necessarily the "politics" of an issue. I would like to see a forum set up in the lounge for discussing "issues" from current events to broad societal issues like "racism, environment" etc. I believe a few rules could prevent trainwrecks. Here are my suggestions:

1) Do not names. If it's required in a thread, say something like the "present administration" and no political party references, they aren't monoliths anyway.

2) No hate threads. This is about events and issues, with the emphasis being on two questions. Is their a problem? How can it be solved?

3) Never get personal. This is about events or issues not how smart or dumb you are.

4) Their are no stupid questions. For instance as a Jew I could be offended if someone ask "Did the Holocaust happen? Or I could look at it as an opportunity to expand someone's knowledge of History.

5) Strict Moderation, not necessarily in the watching mode, but in response to PM's. The rules were broken daily in the old TPA and the trainwreck that ended it might have been prevented had their been some preventive maintenance.

6) NO SARCASM: I know that will be tough, but this is not about zinging people.

Now many would ask, why would you want to go there again? Because I miss the give and take. I miss the insights of some very intelligent people on the issues. I miss the insights of people on the "other side". And I miss much of the stimulation and the fact that TPA forced me to research. I like to find out "Why" people believe what they believe. And TPA ,if you got thru the clutter, was a great place to do that. I also miss the community.

2. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Burk I miss it to. I would support this idea as well. I made allot of friends on tpa. Even the people that it seemed like I could not stand(LIKE YOU).lol:p But the truth is after a long while of talking with you I found out that I liked you allot more than I think I would have. Look at me and rsgars,you would have never thought we would have gotten along as well as we have. I miss all the people that came to tpa because I have not seen many of them since it was closed at first. I hope people take this idea seriously and not high jack it like mine was. And even thought we could never agree with political items I would love nothing more for you to teach me how to fish. Good luck with this buddy but I don’t see that anyone will take it seriously at all.!:scowl:

3. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I dont see how this would be any more successful than TPA.

Firstly, I don't see how a "no names" policy could possibly work. Lets say the issue you want to discuss is the "current Australian administrations" policy against allowing gay marriage. How does it help not to call them the "Howard Government" or the "Liberal Party"?

Secondly, politics didn't work on alt.guitar.bass, it didnt work in Off Topic, it didnt work in the Lobby and it didnt work in TPA. What makes you think it would work somewhere else on the forum?

It seems the phrase "place nice" just doesnt factor into some peoples minds when politics and religion are involved.

4. eric atkinson

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    I think the problem was more the complainers rather than the posters. why those people came into that room beats me.:meh:

5. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I think if you really thought about it, you'd realise that the complainers and the posters were the same people. They weren't complaining about their posts though.

6. eric atkinson

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Hey thanks for the grammer lesson! LOL Read my sig.LOL But i can say that i have never complained about any post here until lately.

7. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I know that TPA had more then it share of train wrecks. But if you got through the clutter their were some great discussions. A great example of it would be the "Racism thread".

The reason I'm suggesting "no names" is it takes the personalities out of the discussion. Saying I disagree with the the current administration just doesn''t have the same personal bite as I hate Bush. Like I said no "hate threads" anyway.

I think if we concentrated on issues, and talked about solutions you would avoid a lot of the rancor. Instead of saying "Republicans are racist" you would have to say something like. The current administration is against affirmative action, what do you propose as an alternative?

8. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    My post was nothing to do with your grammar. Read the content. ;)

9. eric atkinson

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    My bad dude! Sorry for that. Just been a little jumpy about that since I was told that I needed to fix it to properly post at talk bass. Like it is a rule or something? LOL:p

10. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    to be honest, since Paul is deleting TPA because he DOESN'T WANT THAT KIND OF MATERIAL AT TB...

what makes you think he would allow it now (after he deleted the other "new room" thread) with a few rule changes?

it's been suggested before. there are many places to talk about what you want to on the internet. this site, dedicated to MUSIC, is not one of them

burk- i say "you" in the plural form, talking to everyone who wants a new forum, not just you personally

11. eric atkinson

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri

LOL i deleted the new room thread because it was hi jacked. It was hi jacked very well i must say. Because of a few people the post had to be removed. It was filled with so much BS that it would never get taken seriously. I feel this will happen to this thread as well. And i imagine it will be the same small group of people that do it.

12. KPJ

KPJ

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
    It's Paul's forum, he's decided not to have any political talk on it, get over it.

13. eric atkinson

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    :bawl: Ouch:bawl:

14. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    This is how I feel. I recently wanted to educate myself, and at the same time discuss some racism issues. I went and found a website that dealt with it. I never thought of posting about it on TB.

OT is cool for off the wall subjects, and general silliness. Serious issues like racism, religion, politics and the such should be reserved for websites devoted to that subject.

Just my opinion.

-Mike

15. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I agree - in the deleted thread, Xavier put up a really good link to a US Political discussion page and there are plenty of these things all over the net - why come and spoil a bass site with it?

Why not just go there? :meh:

16. eric atkinson

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Yeah we had some awesome discussions about race at tb!

17. eric atkinson

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Tell ya the truth i really enjoyed talking about these things with fellow bassist. I guess because i have so much in common with my fellow bassist that i liked to hear there opinions on things.

18. Bruce Lindfield

I think you know that it was the exact opposite and that's why you deleted the thread!! :meh:

So - there are 2 or 3 people who actually miss TPA and those 2 or 3 people keep banging on about it - to the annoyance of the majority !

So in that thread it was apparent that the majority were against having any kind of political discussion, while it's only those same 2 or 3 who keep posting about it who are in favour ....:rolleyes:

I think Paul has to bear in mind that there are thousands of members and hundreds who post every day - whereas there were a handful of people who caused trouble in TPA!!

The majority clearly have no interest in this stuff and come here because it's a Bass site - so it's not worth devoting any resources to something that only 2 or 3 people want - no matter how many threads they start and how many times they whinge on about it!! ;)

19. Bruce Lindfield

You're missing the point - I was talking specifically(that's why I quoted Eric's post and said so..) about the thread that Eric started and then deleted himself!

So - he is saying it had to be closed because of a hijack - I am saying he closed it because only 2 or 3 people supported him and the rest were hostile!

IN THAT THREAD!!

20. eric atkinson

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Well the truth about this is in my post that I deleted I did not say anything about politics. Actually I said make a room with out politics do you not remember the post? Or you just so hell bent on messing with me that you could care less what the post is about in the first place? In that post I never said anything at all about politics except there should not be any. And yes it was hijacked because nobody knew it was there except the guys that hunt my post down to harass me. I posted it in the lobby so maybe the lobby people could have a chance to read and respond to it. Then it was moved and not a person saw it except the few that follow every little step I make here. How did you find the post? Was you just browsing the Paul forums? See we will never know how many people wanted to keep the political thing because if we asked we would get kicked out. But I bet if you made a poll about it you wouldn’t get kicked out.:)

Well at least we all know who is the hostiles now!:)