Issues w/ Fender Rumble 100

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by AndrewGalyen, Aug 13, 2019.

1. Hey guys.

So, I've been using my Fender Rumble 100 V3 for nearly 2 years without any trouble UNTIL recently. Been gigging a ton and so I've just been leaving it in the car instead of lugging it in and out of the house nearly everyday. (Lazy, I knowo_O) I live in the south so the summers get pretty darn hot. I had noticed that the power switch was getting kind of stuck but it would always power up once the switch was flipped. Well, yesterday I bring it inside to rehearse a little aaaand...nothing. Flip the switch and I get zero sound coming out and the LED won't come on. Have I screwed myself over?

I intend on bringing it into my local music store but wanted to see if anyone on here could help me out first.
    Any thoughts, ideas, tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

AWG

2. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

Someone with the initials AWG (American Wire Gauge) should be able to fix it right up. :D

More seriously take the amp to a tech and have it checked out. It could just be a failed fuse but it also could be much worse.

3. Haha! You've got a point there!
    Thanks for your thoughts. Let's hope it isn't anything seriously bad.:nailbiting:

4. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

Keep us informed. :)

AndrewGalyen likes this.
  5. Moi_

Moi_

Aug 4, 2015
    The main problem about this combo is its lack of quality. Check this out:

Hey all, I'm reconsidering my move. Not sure what options I have, but this is a type of review like no other I've seen so far on YT:

I'll look for more reviews like these and see what other people think about this. English subs are available in the menu for those that can't understand Spanish.

6. JakobT

JakobT

Jan 9, 2014
    Oslo, Norway
    The manual states that the amp should not be installed near heat sources. Leaving the amp in a hot car probably amounts to much the same thing. Take it to the nearest authorized Fender Service Center.

7. BogeyBass

BogeyBass Inactive

Sep 14, 2010
    Id say high heat isnt good. but leaving it in the car wasnt the issue.

you already mentioned the switch getting sticky and now its finally gone dead.

its just a cheap switch gone dead, no biggy
    new switch and good

ive had equipment getting cooked and rattled to death in trailers
    and no problems. and then some amps get rattled to death.

depends.

a turd switch is a turd switch it will die on earth the moon or in a bomb shelter doesnt matter. they die when they die

on the car forums a Holley carburetor fixes everything
    here a tort guard or a effect loop clean fixes everything lol

Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
    EatS1stBassist and tindrum like this.
  8. BassBeginer64

BassBeginer64 Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2018
    Riverside Ca
    Been running 2 of them for some time with no issues, but they do have up graded speakers.

9. John Stephen

John Stephen Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2018
    SF Bay Area
    Andrew, what was the outcome? Did you get it fixed? Just this morning, the power switch on my Fender Rumble 40 died. It worked fine until this morning. Now, I switch it on and off and not only is there no power, but I can't feel the "click" any more when I rock it back and forth.

EatS1stBassist likes this.
  10. John Stephen

Aug 16, 2018
    SF Bay Area
    Very interesting and timely, for me. I just got back from visiting an amplifier repair guy near me, to fix my Rumble 40, and he said the same things the guy in this video said about the electronics. He says he thinks it's the power supply (the problem in my amp), and he can't get a replacement for it, and the schematics aren't available -- just like the guy in your video said -- and he said it would cost a couple hundred for him to open it up, confirm what's wrong, and tell me he can't fix it. So it appears these Fender Rumble amps are disposable, not fixable (at least not the electronics).

I would be interested to hear from any TBers who were able to get the electronics fixed in these amps.

Moi_, thanks for posting the video.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
    MCF, Giffro and Moi_ like this.
  11. I posted on TB earlier this week that "heat and plastic don't mix," whether that's warping pickguards or cheap switches. It's probably just a faulty switch.

12. DeepFriedBass

DeepFriedBass

Nov 21, 2019
    That's weird, heat cant really damage the actual electronics. If so, cars would be screwed. It could mess up speakers more likely, but sounds like a cheap plastic switch mechanism broke

Bassdirty likes this.
  13. Moi_

Moi_

Aug 4, 2015

No prob man. If you lived near me, I'd tell you to bring it over and troubleshoot it using my good amp to compare and a good multimeter. Try to open it up and look for any blown capacitors, blown fuses, anything burnt or shorted. Wish you the best

14. G-Dog

G-Dog What a fun place! Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2016

This ^^^^. The warranty is good for 2 years. Hope you haven't let it run out while trying to figure it out!

Giffro likes this.
  15. John Stephen

Aug 16, 2018
    SF Bay Area
    Moi, thanks for the suggestions. I believe my problem might be the on/off switch, so I bought a replacement online and will attempt to swap it out and see if that does the trick. I'll post back and let you know the outcome.

G-dog, my warranty has expired....alas....

16. John Stephen

Aug 16, 2018
    SF Bay Area
    Success! I bought one of these online https://www.amprepairparts.com/sw489.jpg

It was a struggle getting the old switch out, but I finally wrestled it out, put the new one in, and the Rumble 40 is rumbling again. Phew....

MCF, G-Dog and alanloomis1980 like this.
  17. CallMeAl

CallMeAl

Dec 2, 2016
    Ithaca Ny
    Awesome! For future reference, is this a beginner project, or do you need some electrical know-how? (read: can I possibly electrocute myself trying this ;))

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
  18. Redbrangus

Redbrangus Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2018
    Under The X In Texas
    Well... you do need at least enough electrical know-how to make sure it isn't plugged in when you're working on it. :D

alanloomis1980 likes this.
  19. CallMeAl

CallMeAl

Dec 2, 2016
    Ithaca Ny
    That’s a given!

Bruno1950 and Redbrangus like this.
  20. John Stephen

Aug 16, 2018
    SF Bay Area
    I was wondering that too, but actually you don't need electrical know-how for this particular repair, just a little common sense (I never thought I had any, but evidently I do).

1) When you unscrew the panel from the amp, there is one cable that you have to unplug from the inside of the panel, but it's easy to unplug it. You don't have to unscrew it or strip wires or anything, you just unplug this one cable connector. This is just to get the panel removed from the amp.

2) Then, to change out the power switch, you first have to unplug four wires from the old switch. The four wires are housed in a plastic housing or harness (I'm not sure what you call it). So they're easy to unplug from the switch. You just have to remember which wire goes on which prong of the switch, so I took a picture of it before I unplugged the four wires, so I could refer back to it.

3) Next step was removing the old switch, and that was the hardest part. I had to wrestle it out with a screwdriver and pliers.

4) The new switch was easy to snap into place, and then I plugged the four wires back onto the four prongs of the new switch (referring back to my photo to make sure I had the right wire in the right place).

So if I could do the above, anybody can.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021