1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Issues with Bass Guitar Strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by VladB, Sep 28, 2017.

1. VladB

VladB

Sep 23, 2017
    Hi there guys, I'm new here.
    This is my dilemma; I have 4 Bass Guitars which 2 of them have 45 to 105 strings, and the other 2 have 55 to 110. Well I tried to tune all 4 to C# and that is no happening, the strings are just hanging there; not to mention that I tried to tune all 4 to D# A# F A#, I can literally take the string out of the peg with no resistance at all.
    Any help or suggestions will be appreciated.
    P.S. 1 of the 4 Bass Guitars is a Multi Scale Bass.

Thank you

Vlad

2. I have no experience with multi scales so I cannot help you with that one.
    As for the others I am assuming that they are all 4 strings of some sort. So...... If you are wanting to drop down to C# the .105 sets are probably just not high tension-ed enough are therefore floppy. The .55-.110 should do the trick, if you have the right set. For what you are wanting to do I would suggest the .110-.55 set that GHS makes. I have dropped down to D standard (DGCF) with out any flopiness whatsoever. I'd imagine you could go even lower since they are very stiff in feel.
    If it still won't workout then I would suggest that you get a 5 string set and just tune BEAD and soldier on.

wintremute and VladB like this.
  3. VladB

VladB

Sep 23, 2017

Thank you for the info

4. mikewalker

mikewalker Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!
    Dunlop ( and probably others) make an extra heavy 60-80-100-120 set specifically for down-tuning. I picked up a couple of sets online for 20 bux each last month - plan to maybe put one on a down-tuned long scale bass that MIGHT need the extra tension, also got another set "just in case" the Kramer aluminum necked short-scale I had on the way ended up having little or no neck relief (non-adjustable!). As it turns out the Kramer won't need them (unless I someday want to experiment with down-tuning it...)

Dunlop Stainless Steel Round Wound Electric Bass Strings Long Scale Set - 4-String 60-120 DBS60120

5. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Is that D# one half step down from standard or 13 half steps down from standard?

If you're trying to tune down an octave you need strings twice as thick as for standard.

6. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    I'd suggest getting one of these:

big bass 2.JPG

7. VladB

VladB

Sep 23, 2017
    Thank you I'll do that

8. VladB

VladB

Sep 23, 2017
    This is a D drop C drop

9. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    That isn't an answer to the question.
    Is that D# one half step down from standard or 13 half steps down from standard?

10. VladB

VladB

Sep 23, 2017
    It is a 13 half steps down from standard

11. VladB

VladB

Sep 23, 2017
    Thank you for the info

12. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    13 half steps down is a LONG way - the 60 to 120 set isn't gonna get you where you want to be. You need to talk to the folks at Kalium (strings). This is the kind of thing they do.

And by the way, If you want to actually feel/hear that low note, you need a bass cabinet that....Well, it ain't gonna look like any normal bass cabinet. You'll probably need to put it on a trailer, as it won't fit in your car.

tekhedd likes this.
  13. VladB

VladB

Sep 23, 2017
    Damn, well thanks for the info. I do have a Multi Scale Bass which the neck is way longer than a regular Bass. I will be contacting Kalium as you suggested.

14. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    For that tuning you would need a .210 string to have the same tension as a .105 one half step down from standard.

VladB likes this.
  15. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    A multi scale neck usually has the low string around 37". That'll get you one half step below standard with the same gauge strings. You're still an octave (12 half steps) shy of your goal, just going on length alone. Sure, a 74 inch sacle will get you where you want to be, but you'll need strings that nobody makes, and a friend to fret the lower half of the neck for you.

My point: Bigger gauges are the only logical way to get there. Yes, 37" helps a bit, but not as much as you'd think.
    Good luck!

16. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    A 68" scale would work just fine. No need to be silly about it.

17. tekhedd

tekhedd Tone chaser Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2009
    Colorado, USA
    Owner/operator of BYTE HEAVEN
    I also recommend Kalium. I detune a whole step, and after years of floppy strings recommend custom gauges to anyone who tunes anywhere even a tiny bit off the beaten path.

You will probably need much heavier gauge strings, and you will probably have to mod your bridge and nut to accommodate them, and you will not be able to go back to stock 100% after that.

Re the bass cab: you're only listening to harmonics anyway, but leaving behind traditional cabs and looking at modern 2- or 3-way designs will allow you to listen to the harmonics of lower notes, so it's worth considering. But there are plenty of threads on that. (Or just bring half a pa stack and a preamp: a JBL PRX series 15" sub and top will get you down there and is honestly easier to move than many bass rigs, and now that I think of it, why do I have all these bass amps anyway?)

18. wintremute

wintremute mediocrity at its finest

Oct 16, 2014
    Vegas
    Endorsing Artist: Langstrom Carrot Farms
    Welcome to TalkBass VladB. Show us some pics of your basses.

19. wintremute

wintremute mediocrity at its finest

Oct 16, 2014
    Vegas
    Endorsing Artist: Langstrom Carrot Farms
    I knew that somebody was going to post that. I just didn't think it would be you.

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 15, 2021