1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Issues With Consistency and more

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JLalaSVT, Oct 27, 2013.

1. JLalaSVT

JLalaSVT

Oct 27, 2013
    Active Musician
    Well, a lot to discuss here, I just picked up a new Aerodyne Fender Jazz bass. I have been playing on Sound gears for almost a decade. Well over due for a nice thick tone. One issue I am having and this is not the first time that this has happened. But I don't know if it its just me not hearing it right. But I feel like when I hit my E string every note seems thicker from G (3rd fret) all the Way back up to E( 12th fret) Than it does when I hit my F or F sharp. Is this a setting issues on the amp or a set up up on the neck? Possible. I don't know. If Its just me or does this happen to anyone else? Also this is while I tone in the P bass pickups and play with my fingers in between the P and the neck. So should be nice in deep imho. Any help would be awesome. I feel like the speakers might not be able to handle that low of a frequency? Running 4ohms. Clueless. lol

2. wave rider

wave rider

Jan 5, 2005
    I seem to remember Fender necks having "dead" spots on the fretboard although mostly on the G string. Don't know if that helps, perhaps inquire on the bass guitar forum.

=wr=

3. So what amp head, what speaker cabs, do you have any effects in your signal chain. These are all variables outside of the bass itself. :)

4. JLalaSVT

JLalaSVT

Oct 27, 2013
    Active Musician
    Sorry, I filled that all in on my profile I thought It would show up on my signature. I am using a SVT3 PRO On a SWR GIII 410. Pedal wise I dont use much. Just a tu-3 A morley volume pedal for swells and a db7 over drive set to pretty much the most transparent setting possible, That I turn on my 3 times in a set. But I didn't have the issue with my other guitars. So I suppose I answered my own question.

5. JLalaSVT

JLalaSVT

Oct 27, 2013
    Active Musician
    Also I have read nothing but good reviews on the factory setups on the aerodyne out of the box.

6. Never trust out of the box setup with any string instrument. Even if they here good at the factory things will change after they leave and they are not set for a specific player's needs. It should be checked to be sure all hardware is properly secure as well and pickup height is proper for saturation without damping sustain.

7. grey area

grey area

Sep 2, 2009
    almeria spain
    hi. as you said,you may have answered your own question. have a go over the set up on your bass and strings. i have nothing but love for my aerodyne, but i needed to look her over and move a few bits until she started to shine. its prolly just me but i find the aerodyne a delicate bass but choose her for every gig now.
    good luck.

8. JLalaSVT

JLalaSVT

Oct 27, 2013
    Active Musician
    Yeah, I love it in comparison to what I have been playing. I will gig her out This Weekend coming up and see how she sounds. To bad You can't hear the xlr out on the mains while you're on stage. Always wondering what it sounds like out there lol. Also Why I got you guys here. Maybe there's a thread for remedies and work outs for hand pain. I didn't think it would come this early, As I am only 25 now. But after playing in sometimes up to 3 different projects over the last two years. My hands can barely get through a set sometimes. Let alone a 3 or 4 hour jam session during writing hours. Its frustrating as hell when my hand lock up when I am trying to perform octaves. Any help or a link to a thread would be great. Thanks for your help.

9. Where is your bass when you play? Are your wrists pretty straight or do you have it slung low to look cool? Playing position matters a lot.

10. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    1. A good setup is a must. That means a good setup for you. Which isn't always the same as whatever the factory spec may be. Good intonation (bridge adjustment) is part of a good setup, as is pickup height, etc., so all notes come through at the same volume.

2. The "happening below low G" thing. That is about the range where common bass speakers begin to roll off their lower end. That means you are hearing less of the lowest frequencies of the notes and more of their overtones/harmonics by comparison.

3. Eq setting and room position. Once you put a speaker in a room, that affects various frequencies and how they sound. Some can get cancelled due to wall reflections and others can get enhanced by those same reflections. Moving the amp to a different position in the room and/or listening from a different spot affects all this.

11. If it sounds good at the open E but not as good at the F or F# and then fine again at G or above I would +1 to set up. If the open E is weak too, it could be bass / eq / cab situation.

12. JLalaSVT

JLalaSVT

Oct 27, 2013
    Active Musician
    B string, I play pretty high up. About the same as you in the picture. But lets just say I was not necessarily meant to be a bass player. Lol Im only 5.6 so my bass is almost as tall as me. No matter where I wear my guitar I cannot keep my wrist strategies below the 3rd or 4th fret line. I'm fine when I play 6string guitar. But bass is kind of a climb for me. As for will, I have questioned all these things myself. Just wanted to gather some others opinions before I set myself off in the wrong direction

13. JLalaSVT

JLalaSVT

Oct 27, 2013
    Active Musician
    Open E is fantastic lol

14. huckleberry1

huckleberry1

Jul 1, 2013
    Mesquite, Texas
    student
    Its a Fender, its perfect from the factory right out of the box Leo Fender got it right. Every song ever written was played on a Fender! Just got a jazz myself.

15. Maybe you need the truss rod set, requiring you to use more pressure on the strings?

16. grey area

grey area

Sep 2, 2009
    almeria spain
    i have put a status graphite jazz neck on mine and a lockable bridge FCH.and quarter pounders. not much aerodyne left it seems but she still feels like an aerodyne to me. as for the locking up fingers, it used to be a problem for me but the solution for me was working on strap length, hydration, potassium, and stretches. having enough headroom on the amp also helps me relax on the bass also and i now have no problems, even on realy long gigs. i think we have spanned many thread topics on this one but thats what makes bass so interesting.
    good luck.

17. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    Practice those octaves regularly. I used to have the same problem with cramping and 'lock up' with long sets. I went back to the drawing board and re-learned a bunch of technique and changed up my gear and how I used it.

-I got a bass with slightly tighter string spacing and a low action. This made me work on my right hand technique so I could be more controlled and 'tighter' with how I played. It also made so that I didn't have to dig in with my left hand to hit notes. Also, with a low action you CAN'T dig in as much without sounding awful with fret noise and pickup overloading.

-I started practicing at home with headphones...at a pretty good volume. This made me get used to playing lighter and since I could hear myself better, I grew accustomed to not digging in. I also practiced with different tone settings than I play with live. I use a ton of upper mids and treble so I can hear 'problem spots' much easier and work to avoid them.

-My live rig is capable of high volume and clear tone. I play with it turned up fairly loudly, meaning that I HAVE to play lighter than I might otherwise so that I'm not blastingly loud.

-Work on your technique. Keep your hands unclenched, and loose. If you notice any kind of deathgrip, stop and make an effort to keep your left hand from choking your bass. Often times I practice with my thumb off the back of the neck entirely.

18. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

Feb 25, 2007
    Sweden
    Having played a number of new Fenders and Squiers recently in my search for a good Jazz I eventually realised that EVERYONE with the "thin C" and many "modern C" neck was like that. Substantial drop in volume and lows in the first 2-3 positions. Geddy Lee, Aerodyne, CV, Classic etc. They also had dead C-D on the G string. I still owned one of the CV Squiers for a while ( mainly as backup) but sold it due to those flaws.
    The problem was always there to some extent. Bigger rig would highlight the drop.