1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Issues with my Cream Pie after switching to an active bass. Help.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by fitz420, Oct 30, 2010.

1. fitz420

fitz420 Knows Lows

Oct 6, 2008
    Pittsburgh, PA
    So i just made the plunge and bought a 2010 American Deluxe Jazz. I've used only passive basses for the last 10 years. The cream pie is one of two of my favourite OD pedals. I gigged last night with my new active bass and noticed for the 1st time some serious low end loss with the cream pie. I've NEVER heard ANY low end loss before while running a passive jazz.

1. I don't want to have to sell my cream pie. Looked high and low for the best OD and the Cream Pie / Angler combo ended GAS and therefore allows me to sleep at night.

2. Don't wanna put the CP in a blend loop.

What do I do? Would raising the Input/Output cap values change anything? I kinda don't want to mod this pedal given its rarity and value, but I guess it would be reversible and I'd rather do this than sell it. Started a new OD quest would be detrimental to my marriage and really i've tried almost everything out there.

Has anyone else experienced this? Does anyone have any suggestions?

2. welcome to the wonderful world of active basses, where all your pedals (not to mention your amp settings) are rendered irrelevant!

that said, I bet you can get satisfactory results just by reducing your onboard output and boosting the output volume on the CP

3. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Relatively less expensive options than starting a new OD quest:

a) I don't know whether the Deluxe Jazz has an active bypass stock, but installing one can definitely help, especially if you've got other pedals that don't like being slammed by hot signals.

b) try rolling off the volume on your bass. May not give you the same results, but it's worth a try considering it's by far the cheapest option.

4. c) going back to passive jazzes, since you're basically using multiple preamps anyway - kind of counterintuitive once you're using an active bass IMO

5. Unrepresented

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    I too used to be a staunch defender of passivity, but I've become active, and now my passive basses feel so "quaint."

There're a couple pedals I've had to drop from the roster, but for me, I'd rather have my "clean" tone be where I want it.

6. nothing against actives, just trying to be practical. installing a bypass to use just for OD seems to be making things more complicated than necessary, is all.

7. Unrepresented

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Unless there're other reasons to have a bypass than just for that pedal, which I believe there are.

8. fitz420

fitz420 Knows Lows

Oct 6, 2008
    Pittsburgh, PA
    well guys.....the new 2010s do have have an active bypass for the 1st time. they also have a passive tone control to boot. maybe this would be the best route, however, i'm really liking the added lows and clarity from the active pre. i'm still not opposed to modding the CP, if i can get the full spectrum of lows through.

9. irvinz

irvinz

Nov 23, 2006
    Australia
    has too much gas
    never noticed much bass loss with an active G&L into a cream pie.

10. DerHoggz

DerHoggz I like cats :| Banned

Feb 13, 2009
    Western Pennsylvania
    Maybe an impedance booster.

11. aka the reasons I'm not currently playing an active ;)

12. Hey tim, I found the same issue with my G & L and the cream pie. There was a slight loss of low end, but it stood out more in the mix. I figured the hotter signal was muckin somethin up. I tend to stick to passives for effected tones, and use my active for leaner (less affected) tones.

13. Mark Olson

Mark Olson Banned

Mar 19, 2008
    Michigan
    The problem doesn't necessarily have much to do with output, but a lot to do with the buffered signal. Germanium pedals don't really like to see a buffered signal. Modding the Cream Pie isn't necessarily going to fix anything.

14. fitz420

fitz420 Knows Lows

Oct 6, 2008
    Pittsburgh, PA
    the cream pie doesnt mind a buffered signal. ive used a dedicated fet based buffer 1st in my chain for a while.

15. Mark Olson

Mark Olson Banned

Mar 19, 2008
    Michigan
    Well what sounds good to you is all that matters. Have you tried lowered your bass volume into it?

16. fitz420

fitz420 Knows Lows

Oct 6, 2008
    Pittsburgh, PA
    it honestly still sounds good. it sounds great to be honest. it just doesnt handle the lows from the onboard pre.

17. fitz420

fitz420 Knows Lows

Oct 6, 2008
    Pittsburgh, PA
    no i havent, mark. i didnt think to do that as i havent used an active bass in more than 10yrs. worst thing is that all of my gear is in our trailer. i have a tiny little practice amp here so all testing needs to be done on the job. i was hoping to gather ideas from helpful tb`ers like yourself and test them fri and sat. thanks again.

18. rcubed

rcubed

May 8, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    The input and output caps could certainly big larger for the circuit. It would be an easy mod since it's simple single transistor circuit.

19. Mark Olson

Mark Olson Banned

Mar 19, 2008
    Michigan
    Yeah it's a tough situation. In my experience active basses and solid state amps don't combine half as well with effects as more traditional gear.