Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

issues with new avatar cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by slapfish, Nov 21, 2002.

1. slapfish

slapfish

Jul 16, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    hey all...

Just got my new Avatar speaker cab (410, 4 ohm) today, and hooked it up to my Carvin R600...to my horror, the right two speakers were crapping out...right out of the box! I was suprised, given all the good things I've read here about them. Called up Dave, and he tried to run me through a diagnosis...sounded like a wiring or speaker issue that arose during shipping (damn UPS). Offered to reimburse me for repair here or shipping back to him. After I got off the phone, the cab started working, and my bass now sounds like a bass. Apparently taking off the back panel and putting it back on somehow fixed it...? No clue. However, I'm still a little worried. I'm not accusing him of being at fault, as I told him, but I'm worried that UPS created a little gremlin that is just waiting to jump out at the next gig (isn't that always how it works?). I should also note that I had an SWR head and a Hartke cab both die on me within the past two months, neither of which were my fault...so it can happen to anyone. That being said, however, with my past experiences, any sign of trouble causes me to get very defesive, and my reaction right now is to ship it back to him, even though it's currently working, to ensure that whatever issue was at work is permanently resovled...like I said before, I'm worried that whatever arose from there to here (wiring/speaker coil knocked out of whack) could arise again. Is this a reasonable reaction? Dave seems like a great guy, and apologized about 20 times; I want to stress to him that this isn't a reflection on his work, and it is great to see someone who takes such pride and ownership of the work he does. Has anyone out there experienced similar problems?

2. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Just got my 4x10 today (waiting to take it home & play it).

Here's what I would do:

1) Take the back off again and try *lightly* adjusting the wires, then playing. Do this several times to see if there is a short somewhere. It could be that you "jiggled" it back in place and now you need to see if it'll stay that way.

2) If all is well within the cab (and I would expect it to be cab related, given what you've stated - the signal was getting to it, just not coming out of all speakers), try repeatedly (but NOT rapidly!!!!) turning the amp on and off (again, SLOWLY!!), then playing each time to see if there is signal loss.

Although it would seem unlikely that it would be anything other than the cab, you could try both above, just to be sure.

You definitely want to try to identify exactly where the problem is, because it it's just a faulty connection at the speakers or at the jack, you'll want to get it repaired locally instead of having to box it up, send it back and risk more shipping damage.

3. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    sounds like the source of the problem is either at the jackplate or the speaker connection. I agree with P Boulder...I would mess with it "gently" and make sure it's all hooked up as it should be. He offered to pay for a repair locally? That's kinda cool...saves on the UPS destruction potential and cost too.
    good luck. Let us know what the end result is. Curious, since I own one of these things.

4. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    You also stand virtually zero chance of getting UPS to take responsibility for any damage especially since you can't definitively state what that damage might be. I agree it's probably speaker lead-related. Extremely minor issue that should be easily fixable. Just verify that the speaker and plate are solidly connected and the wiring has no shorts.

5. Planet Boulder

Nov 10, 2001
    Just tried mine out and it sounds great, except it's quite farty on the B and even the E strings.

I'm playing through a Trace Elliot AH200 and, otherwise, it sounds great - incredibly crisp, but man, the lows are killing it! :(

Is anyone else having this problem? It's a 4x10, by the way.

6. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    PDX
    You should probably talk to Dave about it, I haven't heard about anyone else having that problem.

7. Planet Boulder

Nov 10, 2001
    Just tested it some more and it seems to only happen when the volume is turned all the way up on my active 5-string. Now, granted, I could just play without it all the way turned up on board, but none of my other cabs suffer from this.

And I did change the battery tonight, just in case.

8. flacko

flacko

Dec 6, 2001
    Surrey , UK
    Whoever is at fault here (UPS/ Avatar) I would return the cabinet. I would then think long and hard about either getting a refund, getting an exact replacement cab or getting a credit for another avatar cab.

A refund - You've got to have confidence in your gear and , yep, it'll be your next gig when you have problems.

A exact replacement cab - Maybe there is a design fault with this cab that will manifest itself again, although I find that hard to believe from all the good things I've read about Avatar on TB.

Credit for another Avatar - This may not be the best cab for the lows on a 5 string (Planet Boulder's remarks) and perhaps Avatar have a more suitably spec'd model.

Anyway, I'm feeling for you :(

Hope the above helps.

9. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    I suspect that it's not the cab that's the problem it's your amp. I don't know how efficient the Avatar is but most high power 10" speakers aren't that efficient because of the high excursion they require hence v long voice coils thus a substantial amount of the voice coil is not in use at any given moment.

That Avatar cab is rated at 1400W RMS, which to me suggests to get the best (if volume and bass is what you want) from it you want an amp with between 1kW and 2kW, and it's low notes that will show up your amps limitations. Try picking up a cheap PA amp because with a 200W TE head you're wasting all the potential volume and bottom of that cab.

Alex

10. flacko

flacko

Dec 6, 2001
    Surrey , UK
    I didn't see anything in slapfish's post to indicate this. Have I missed something?

Potential volume maybe but I'm not sure about bottom. Eminence specs this cab's drivers as having a useable frequency range down to 65Hz : assuming they are the standard Eminence Delta. A 4 , and certainly a 5 string , is going to use frequencies well below this - I'm not sure how this cab is going to reproduce the lower frequencies of bass notes whatever the amp.

11. Planet Boulder

Nov 10, 2001
    Excellent suggestions, and I thought about this , but a couple of points:

- TE definitely underrates their amp wattage. That "200" watts is actually much more than that. I have a Carvin R600 that I can try, but, to be honest, the TE is more powerful.

- I don't have this problem using the TE (or the Carvin) with my SWR 8x8 and with the onboard on this bass cranked all the way up. Just seems odd.

I will do some more testing with this and I have considered picking up a high powered crest amp to just run the preamp on the TE through. Many thanks for your input and help on this.

12. How could an amp make only 2 of 4 speakers sound bad in a mono cab?:confused:

13. ThunderStik

ThunderStik Guest

Jun 25, 2001
    Claremore OK.
    Greybeard
    That post was referring to another poster who was having trouble with the low b on his cab farting (2 different posters goin at the same time).

The amp is probably tapped out for power.

14. Planet Boulder

Nov 10, 2001
    Question: Given the 4x10 I'm using, what would you guys recommend, wattage wise (8 ohm cab), for a power amp? Also, what brand would you recommend and recommend against?

(Apologies for topic drift - please point me in the right direction if a more suitable thread exists)

15. Carl Brusky

Carl Brusky

Sep 21, 2000
    At least 1000 watts.

More power gived you alot of head room. One cabinet I run is rated at 600 watts. Two other cabinets I run are rated at 400 watts each. Either way I go the one at 600 or the two at a total of 800, I run a QSC PLX 1202 bridged into 4 ohms giving me 1200 watts.

The speakers love it. Pure clean power that handle the transients great. No distortion and plenty of volume if needed.

16. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i would definitely check, and perhaps even add some solder/clean up the connections. i was kinda shocked to see how messy the wiring was in my B112, but i cleaned it up to be sure. then again, for such a great sounding cheap cab, i don't mind cleaning up some wires.

17. DougD

DougD Bassman7654

Sep 19, 2002
    North Las Vegas NV
    I run my B410 with a GK 1001rb (340w @8ohm 540w @ 4 ohm) and it does the job. I use it alone for small gigs with no problems. It can get farty at high volumes (especially with my 5er) but if I turn down the bass just a tad I’m right back in the mix. I would recommend using a 15 with it if you want more bass though. Don't know how the b15 sounds by itself but I bet the combination would be killing. Keep in mind that for about half the price of 1 high price cab you can get 2 Avatars. IMHO they sound great and when I think about the money I saved they sound even better:D

18. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Your incoming signal may be pretty hot, so you might rock back the gain just a bit and compensate with the master volume.

Also, what is your amp EQed like? Are you boosting the bass? I have heard from some others that this cab is a bit bass light, so you might have to turn the extreme lows down a bit.

19. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    I've run my 410 with my R1000 and never had a problem, and I've tested it at "max" volume--no farting or any other strange responses. Maybe testing it with another amp would be worth it? Otherwise if the symptoms continued I'd be real tempted to have Dave pay for local repair shop check it out.