Issues with stage volume

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by crucislancer, May 15, 2021.

1. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Again, set levels at the start of the night (whatever it is) and LEAVE it there. Creeping crud volume will get you kicked out mid set from any self respecting venue every time.

2. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Yeah, in that case things might come to a head. Is it all against you or is it just one other player? Good luck.

dkelley likes this.
  3. ComeHomeShane

ComeHomeShane Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2016
    Southern California
    Wow... what a joke. I realize that I don't know the whole story, but I would quit that band so fast if that's how they handle things.

4. crucislancer

crucislancer Supporting Member

Dec 25, 2009
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    I agree. I leave mine where it is, and I did last night, too. There's no winners in a volume war.

PeteOlig likes this.
  5. crucislancer

Dec 25, 2009
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    None of the comments from the rest of the band even mentioned the volume, but it's to be expected. The singer is not one to stand up to the guitarist and the other 2 are new.

dkelley likes this.
  6. crucislancer

Dec 25, 2009
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Yeah, it may come to that. I have other issues with the band that when added to this issue could be enough to call it a day. I get along with everyone, though at times me and the lead player have been at odds, and I've had to read BS comments like what he posted today.

dkelley likes this.
  7. arbiterusa

arbiterusa

Sep 24, 2015
    SoCal
    Call your guitar player by tonight or forgo any say in anything. He knows what he did. Call him on it and tell him it’s not acceptable. Be ready to walk on tonight’s show. It’s that important. The guy is a manipulative jerk.

8. Ross W. Lovell

Ross W. Lovell

Oct 31, 2015

What does your sound guy say?

I play guitar as well, our sound guy has reviewed my patches, actually we went through them because I can limit the output to the board. I tend to make them all patches the same output which makes nothing a surprise.

EdO. likes this.
  9. MichelD

MichelD

May 19, 2014
    Tell him to get fornicated and quit.

Omega Monkey and obimark like this.
  10. Ross W. Lovell

Ross W. Lovell

Oct 31, 2015

IED's will solve a symptom, not a problem.

I have played a variety of amps, most Fender and Hiwatts and a boutique unit. All have one thing in common.....the cabinet is at ear level. Never saw the usefulness of my knees going deaf with amp volume trying to reach my ears......even with fender kick backs.

Also, rarely touch my controls the whole night, especially with the boutique as if sits way back and turned front to back along with being miked. It's a single 15", I play slide.

These are not suggestions for this guy as he won't take them, find a guitarist that knows and practices this.

Omega Monkey and Wasnex like this.
  11. I’m not too picky about stage volume as long as it’s not coming from someone else on my side of the stage. Many times over the years the soundguy has asked me to turn down. Thing is I’m actually willing to do it. It’s really amateurish to act like they are acting imo. Unfortunately in the rock and metal world it’s also something that’s very common especially with older players that are stuck in the 80s who don’t know what things like a axe fx or kemper or a mini low wattage tube amp are. My solution for loud guitar players is to bargain. Either they turn down or one of them is out of the band and There won’t be a guitar rig on my side of the stage blasting at me. Often times with only one guitar rig on the opposite side of the stage I actually even ask for guitar in my monitor (which is what they are for) and I typically have more fun playing in one guitar bands anyways because there’s more sonic space that I can explore.

every area is different. But in my area decent guitar players are a dime a dozen. It’s the easiest roll in a band to replace. What’s hard for bands to find are quality singers, bass players and drummers. That may or may not be true for your area but it’s something to consider. I spent two decades hauling 810 cabs 610cabs or stacks of 410s or 15s. These days I use single Mesa subway 115. Guitarist I play with uses a fractal based rig and can get modern metal tones without being painfully loud. And really most of the quality guitarist in my area these days have done that. They’ve switched to little amps or modelers. Used to be that for rock and metal guitar tones you basically had to crank a big rig. That’s not the case anymore. There are modelers and amps like the little prs archon 112 tube amp that sound great for rock and metal without being stupid loud. The orange tiny terror amps sound great also. So the old excuse of cranking an amp for a specific tone doesn’t fly anymore. And if big rigs are about looks get some stage scrims. They’ll sit in front of the amps so the crowd doesn’t see the amps so the “I like how it looks” argument also becomes invalid.

Omega Monkey and /\/\3phist0 like this.
  12. keith1r

keith1r Supporting Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Stage volume should be based on the drummers un mic’d volume. If the drummer is loud than the amps on stage need to be. I personally hate low stage volume. Do a soundcheck with nothing going through the PA. That will determine stage volume. Have the singer or someone you trust tell you what’s too loud or not loud enough. Don’t always trust the sound guy who wants to control everything

One Way and Seanto like this.
  13. 9Thumbs

9Thumbs

Jul 3, 2013
    Near Boston
    My harp player is half deaf. If I tell him that he is hurting us he tells me I'm wrong. He's a very good old friend, so I'm not willing to argue about it. One of our guitarists can talk to him, and does. So life is good

dkelley likes this.
  14. Artman

Artman Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2017
    Georgetown, TX
    Go to the venue (if your rig is still there), Call and ask him if he was posting about you. If he was, admonish him for his passive/aggressive behavior, then load all of your gear and go home.

dkelley and filmtex like this.
  15. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    That doesn't express the point. Goal: great band.
    Not telling you what to do but the day you start playing with respectful players you'll go, "why was I dealing with that?"
    What is the guitarist protecting? What are the other mates afraid of? So they aren't in it really either.
    I once became a band's mom. I was saying don't step on cords, get there early for soundcheck, don't put your acoustic guitar out of it's case on the stage and the drums aren't even in, stop inviting people to sit in that you and no one else knows. There are 14 yr. olds in garages with more poise and professionalism than these cats. If they saw it as help to a higher place....they didn't. No one else spoke up so I was the bad guy. Just selfish people who are whacking off as individuals on stage. Only did it once. Never again. This is why the biz is littered with corpses. There are always better nicer players.

I booked gigs with some very pro players. On the phone they said, what time, what do we wear? At the gig they said, where do you want us to set up? Wow see? Their day jobs are about as professional musically you can get.
    In one venue the hostess kept seating the people who wanted to talk in the front and the music lovers in the back. Without a mention of volume we burned really hard for two sets at conversation level. The owner was over joyed. The customers thanked us for not being loud. The next two sets were another matter as the talkers had gone home. LOL

Sascha Erni, dkelley and bassdrummer like this.
  16. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Guy sounds like a dick and id tell him so

Omega Monkey, crucislancer and EdO. like this.
  17. An IED is a drastic way to solve this symptom!!

Lol you probably meant IEM, couldn’t resist though.

18. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    LOL! Very drastic!
    Yet it would be louder than even the guitarist intends.

Omega Monkey, Artman and HolmeBass like this.
  19. crucislancer

Dec 25, 2009
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    LOL! Yeah, sometimes he is. Sometimes he's awesome, and it's hard to gauge when he's gonna be a dick or awesome. Regardless, he's going to hear what I have to say, whether he likes it or not.

dkelley likes this.
  20. OregonJim

OregonJim

Apr 3, 2021
    I won't put up with an ego like that. Unteachable. I'd be out the door and not looking back.

Gothic and dkelley like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 27, 2021