Issues with Warwick Corvette Standard 4 String Passive Barrel Jack

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by jamada, Aug 8, 2018.

Tags:
  1. jamada

jamada

Aug 8, 2018
    Hey folks,

Love my Warwick bass, hate the barrel jack. I have had issues since I purchased it used. I replaced the standard jack with a Switchcraft barrel jack but still have issues with "disconnection" and noise. For whatever reason a Neutrix type lead seems to be the best but still is not prefect. I am looking for a more permanent solution

I am wondering if its best to switch to a more standard open face jack but the Warwick body is very thick and not sure this will work. Also saw a video on using an Electrosocket jack but again not sure it will work.

Such a shame that this awesome playing, sounding bass seems to have inherent jack issues.

Thanks in Advance!

2. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Welcome to TalkBass.
    Maybe it isn't your bass jack, maybe it's you cable. Do you have a Switchcraft or Neutrix jack on the cable? You are correct barrel jacks do fail more often than a normal open jack. If you run your cable through the strap that will minimize movement and reduce stress and movement of the cable. There are ways to replace that barrel jack with an open jack; an electrosocket is one, another is a football plate. If you are REALLY desperate you could even MOVE (gasp) the jack.

3. jamada

jamada

Aug 8, 2018
    Thanks....no its not the cable...I have tried many..I have always used my strap to minimize the movement but as I said I am looking for a solution that gets rid of this issue. In order to put an open face jack in I would have to create a new hole or mod the one for the barrel jack and that scares the hell out of me...but may the way I need to go.

4. sissy kathy

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Not a new hole, enlarge the one you have. If you're apprehensive, take it to a repair shop; they aren't as afraid of messing up your Warwick as you are. (that's humor)

Warhawk likes this.
  5. jamada

jamada

Aug 8, 2018
    Yes Thanks that's what I meant making the original hole larger...may have to go that route. Just very curious why the original barrel jack sucked and so does the replacement .....seems to me they just suck in general. Would love to hear from someone that has made this mod to a Warwick as they have very thick bodies if not for that I would think this would be pretty straight forward.

TN WOODMAN and Warhawk like this.
  6. G&L L-series basses have the same problem with the barrel jack wearing out after a couple years. The solution is to drill out the hole and put a football plate open jack in. However, I've not heard of instant failure unless you got a bad jack or there's something else wrong.

By the way, I'm also afraid of messing up my bass so haven't done the jack mod yet. I will. Have an older L2K that I can try it on first before my #1. If you cannot do it, get a luthier to do it. Pretty straightforward process.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
    TN WOODMAN likes this.
  7. Big believer in the electro sockets with a switchcraft jack. Only choice in my opinion to replace barrel jacks . I even switched a football style jackplate to an electro socket and would again if an existing one fails on another bass or guitar.

jamada and Warhawk like this.
  8. Electro sockets? Do you have a link?

9. sissy kathy

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Warhawk likes this.
  10. Thanks all!

11. jamada

jamada

Aug 8, 2018
    I think this is the way I am going, ordered the parts and have a good Luthier lined up to do the install. Thanks to everyone for the input on this thread, all the info helped me make a sound decision.