It’s a Choice

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Jul 27, 2021.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I was looking at a nice bass in the classifieds today and was a bit bummed because the cash is not there, but I had to remind myself that dwelling on gear is a choice. I have to play at a funeral this morning, but when I come home, I can practice Bach and anything else that will help me improve. I am long past the point of aspiring to be great, but as long as I am capable of playing, I can improve. That is something I can do with what I own already. Frankly, that is what all of the great musicians I admire have done. They took what they had and got better with it. They did not waste time moaning about not owning their dream basses.

2. lug

lug Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    Choice or compulsion, that is the question!

3. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    It’s definitely a choice. A compulsion can wreck your life. My life is in decent shape.

gzarruk, Admiral Akbar, bignc and 9 others like this.
  4. Gothic

Gothic

Apr 13, 2008
    Greece
    I'm totally zen about how well I can play so I just want more gear. :D

5. alack

alack

Nov 20, 2000
    Florida
    A man with a USA Geddy already made a wise choice. Time to just play!

6. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I can say the same about any number of basses I have owned, and that is why I know gear chasing becomes pointless after a while because either you play or you don’t.

7. nonohmic

nonohmic

Dec 13, 2005
    ABQ, NM.
    Anytime lately that I get GASSY I change strings. It reminds me just how much there is to learn within a single instrument.

Put some rounds on - damn! I gotta get more deliberate with my fretting hand.
    Put some flats on - damn! I gotta slow down and enjoy things more.

Rich67, twinjet, sonojono and 10 others like this.
  8. bass12

bass12 Turn up the Eagles - the neighbours are listening Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    I like to keep in mind that although playing and gear lust may be connected, they are separate things.

9. dalkowski

dalkowski Supporting Member

May 20, 2009
    Massachusetts USofA
    Truth.

10. Prof.Dr.Metz

Prof.Dr.Metz

Mar 26, 2009
    Right, you are...

retslock, lowdownthump and Dr. Cheese like this.
  11. beatmachine pro

beatmachine pro

Jun 13, 2021
    Im pretty sure G.A.S. is a real thing
    im usually saving all my $$
    but since getting into music
    i spent about half my bank on gear

of course i absolutely needed everything i bought
    and gear is an 'investment' too
    now i absolutely need different gear

of course if i upgrade my bass ill sound better

the truth is building a recording studio is out of my budget

Admiral Akbar, Helix and red_bassist like this.
  12. Relayer71

Relayer71 Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2009
    NYC
    Yeah, but gear chasing adds its own layer of joy, it can be its own reward. And we all know getting a new piece of equipment does inspire to a point.

Now, if all one does is gear chase and not play, nothing wrong with that, just don't call yourself a musician. "Collector" is more apt.

I think repeatedly telling ourselves we can be happy with just one is unhealthy. We're talking basses, not women/wives.

Basses never hurt nobody. :D (see, that's just what I tell MYSELF... send help!!!)

13. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

0000_1.jpg :thumbsup:

this should be inscribed over the entrance to TB!

14. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I have a lot more than one bass.:)

15. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    So it goes with food, love, adventure, faith, etc.

We all know what is the right thing to do. Sometimes doing the wrong thing is more fun (instant gratification).

The right thing to do is practice on what you have. But getting a new bass is fun.

Slaphound, Hambone70, dabbler and 6 others like this.
  16. dalkowski

dalkowski Supporting Member

May 20, 2009
    Massachusetts USofA
    Doc dropping the truth bombs this morning. I stopped gear chasing because I realized I was barely playing anymore. I was all ready to pre-order the shell pink Squier Bronco from CME -- $200 was well within budget tolerances — then I realized it may never see the light of day. That was my tipping point.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2021
  17. mdlewis

mdlewis

Jan 1, 2005
    Boston Metro
    Perhaps you're just interested in playing different instruments as you pursue your playing?

I find that there's also the need to try different things...at this point I have a rule, one out before one in. That lets me try instruments I've never really played without accumulating them.

At least any more than I already have.

Bleecker, red_bassist and Dr. Cheese like this.
  18. Holdsg

Holdsg Talkbass > Work Gold Supporting Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Alta Loma, CA
    I do enjoy the thrill of the hunt. I will admit that openly.
    Just over the weekend I almost added to the tribe, but had an appliance break down in the kitchen and, well, you know how that goes. It's all about getting your priorities straight, according to whatever value system you aspire to.

19. I very rarely get “Gas”, but my thought process is this: Of course I’d love a $10,000 Alembic , but it will not make me a better bassist, nor will having a $10,000 Alembic allow me to be more marketable as a bassist to make more money to offset the cost. That would mean that the only benefit for the $9,000 alpha over a basic $1,000 PB would be the experience of playing it, and or a potential long term capital gain as a collectible.

Pretty much as far as gear goes, I buy tools to do a job. I’m more concerned about long term functional utility than having the most expensive rig possible. With a $10,000 instrument on a gig, I’d me more concerned about a singers swinging microphone stand striking it turning my $10,000 instrument into a $4,000 to $5,000 instrument than me hitting the root on the one beat. Being honest, I didn’t have that kind of cash to throw away.

One final point, I have found my sound for the music I play. It’s hasn’t changed much in the last 10 years so having a large collection of instruments would be of dubious value, other than increasing my workload trying to dial them in every time I switch my bass, the expense of upkeep, not to mention depreciation if you can call those values.

20. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    I run through my song lists on a rotating basis. Each week or so, I change up which bass I use. I am using my Rick 5 string this week. ....Probably be back on my Mayones Slogan next week.
    I'm also building a Jazz this week(Fender Shaped build number 106~). Hopefully, I'll be playing that in a week or two.
    I like to be ready to Gig on every bass in my stable. I also try to figure the best EQ on my amps for each bass. Then which pedal works best....(I only use one Pedal at a time other than High Pass filter and Tuner)

I have wanted another Jazz bass for a long time but couldn't find one that spoke to me. So it's time to build my own.

Got this body locally from a friend:
    pq2aesytygscmvev4ou3.jpg
    Waiting for this USACG neck:
    IMG_20190630_184011-16.jpg IMG_20190630_184018-17.jpg

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 20, 2021