1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

It ain't bragging if you can back it up

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by d8g3jdh, Apr 8, 2006.

1. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    I've seen this quote in at least 2 sigs being credited to Jaco. Jaco did not come up with this quote. It was Dizzy Dean first, back about 60-70 years ago. Multiple others have said it since then, such as Jaco, also Muhammud Ali.

Just so you know.

2. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    But Jaco did invent fretless! :bag:

I always thought it was still bragging even if you could back it up. If you can't back it up it's lying.

3. funk_dat_jazz

funk_dat_jazz

Mar 10, 2006
    and because of this we still celebrate and practise the religion that has become known as fretlessism

i always thought that qoute was cool and still do even if jaco didnt say it first

4. arbitrary

arbitrary Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Boston, MA
    souds kida cocky to me.
    as I recall Jaco and Ali weren't exactly light in "confidence."

5. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    it still is bragging.

as far as ali, hypothetically i would have loved to see him fight tyson when they were both in their prime.

6. its not bragging, its advertisment..

"hey.. i can do this, this, this, and that"

thats how i see it anyway :p

7. ddnidd1

ddnidd1 Supporting Member

Who gives a s**t what he said? The important thing is what he played.

8. yeah, but if you heard or read jaco say it, then you can quote it...I'm sure Dizzy didn't say it first either, in humanity's thousands of years of existance

9. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Who cares?

10. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    I only posted this because people were incorrectly giving credit to the wrong person for coming up with a clever little saying. Dizzy said it, he should get the credit for it. It still is bragging though.

If you don't care, don't post in this thread. Geeze, how hard is that? There ya go canopener, you don't care. Congratu-freaking-lations.

More than anything I thought mikeyfingers would want to know. And the other guy with the same quote.

11. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Well said, Scott. I'm not too bothered by this topic myself, but I'm totally with you on the above point. If people aren't interested in a topic, why post to say so? It's both rude and arrogant. Who are they to decide what is and isn't worth posting about, anyway? The old rule applies... if you've got nothing to say, then say nothing.

12. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    I think someone hasn't gotten their nap today. If I knew you'd get all huffy about it...ah nevermind. Talk about touchy!

13. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    Ya, real touchy. :rolleyes:

Posting something like 'who cares' in a thread that contains information that may be relevant and interesting for others is detrimental in a number of ways. First and foremost, it puts yourself above everyone else in the thread. You're saying 'I don't care about this, no one else should either'. Also, it shys away those who would otherwise post. Someone could read this, think 'Oh, I have something to add' but then get to your post and not contribute for fear of being reprimanded in the eyes of canopener. Therefore, they don't post. Were this to be forum wide it would cause stagnation, and we wouldn't be able to recognize the TB that we know and love. Finally, the act of typing 'who cares' conveys that you care enough to voice your opinion, which in itself is an oxymoron.

Not touchy at all, I just want to make sure you understand just what your post communicates.

Posting that I must be sleep deprived to disagree and, god forbid, argue with you furthers your own perpetuation of your belief that you are above others. You must learn to read from other people's perspective. Just because we disagree does not mean I haven't gotten my nap, or that I am a baby (nice inference), or that I am wrong.

Edit: Bassybill said it pretty well. :)

14. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    LOL

15. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    Continue digging that grave, by all means...

16. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    No, he didn't. I think it was Tom Hamilton who was playing a fretless electric bass more than a decade before Jaco did. Oh, and not to mention the hundreds of years of other fretless stringed instruments.

17. flatwoundfender

flatwoundfender

Feb 24, 2005
    saxaphone parts? :bag:

18. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    I think you'll find Moo was being sarcastic with his earlier post. ;)

19. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    I think that applies to all my posts :)

But yes, I was having some fun with the mythology.

20. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    That quote sounds like bragging to me.

I still think it can be bragging if you do back it up, meh.