Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

It BURNS!! IT BURNS!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by merlin, Nov 23, 2003.

1. Alrighty here's the deal...

I have a rack system. 2 channel preamp, compressor, graphic EQ and a power amp. Its basically a PA.

100 watts RMS into 4 ohms. Nice and loud. It had been in my car (wagon) for about a week. Its housed in a carpeted rack case.

Got to rehearsal, hooked it up. All seemed fine. Started to play and it began cutting out and farting. I thought it was the cable and endured. Then the sound cut out. I look at my compressor and signal was still coming in.

I walk over and could smell this lovely electronics burning smell. Amp is dead.

Any suggestions?

Merls

2. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Buy a labsystems head and cab for $3899+ ;)

3. I would say just bring it to someone who repars amps.

The same thing happened to my friends marshall head. We brought it in to a repair shop and they fixed the problem for around 80 bucks.

4. TRU

TRU

Apr 12, 2002
    Northern Europe
    You fried a transistor. That happens. Get it fixed and play on. :)

5. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    Was it due to condensation? It came out of the car, Was the temperature in the car the same as in the rehearsal place? How about humidity? If this are different did you let the amp acclimate to the rehearsal place?

I know this does not help fix the problem, but might not let it happen again.