Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

it buzzes on the other side !?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by tracker_br, Nov 15, 2002.

1. hey , there .
    Since I bought my new ibanez edb690 ,I'm having problems to set up the neck bow.
    It came to me with the neck too straight and buzzin' at the first frets and buzzing a lot! in the C fret of the E string , but it vibrated in the part BETWEN THE FRET AND THE CAPO . I gave a little neck bow and it got better but started to happen at the posicion D of the A string.Gave a little bit more bowing and it was gone .
    Now the neck relief is about 0,9mm and shold be of at least 0,5mm , but if I reduce it ,the sinister vibrations starts again , don't matter how light I play the string .
    -What's happening ?
    -Is the only solution to add neck bow?
    -A new capo (a bit higher )would work.

Ps.:Sorry 'bout the bad english.

2. Hi Tracker, the problem with a capo is that the fret you put it behind acts as a zero fret or a nut, and a zero fret or nut should be higher then the other frets.

The rule for correct nut (or zero fret) height is that when you hold down the string at the third fret, the string should not touch the first fret. The clearance can be as little as the thickness of a hair, wich is hard to see, so you can hold the string at the third fret and when you tap it at the first fret, you should hear a little click.
    When there's no clearance (no click), you'll get buzz.

Adding more bow to the neck is one solution ...

I've just had an idea and tried it out, and it works !
    I just cut a smal piece out of a soda can, put it on the fret and "shaped" it with a pair of pliers.
    I basically made a fret shaped shim to add height to the "zero fret", to get the clearance needed.
    There you go, a second solution ... :D

3. jani_bjorklund

jani_bjorklund

May 22, 2002
    Finland
    Georgy is right. The nut is too "low". If you have a regular nut (not a zero fret) the best way is to either have a new nut made or put a shim cut from a soda can under the nut.

4. thanks guys.
    My bass is not a zero fret one.
    I liked the idea of seting the capo higher with a piece of aluminum ,çause it's hard to find a new one here and the job seens to be delicated.

But I don,t know how the nut is atached to the neck is it just pressed against THE NECK? Glued?

If you could help me to understand probably I will try to set it a bit higher.

Can I release all of the strings at once to see how is the nut hold in place?or it could mess with the tensions of the neck and mess it up?

thanks very much..

5. I think there was a bit af a misunderstanding ...

I never said the nut was too low, I said that the fret that acts as the nut (because of the capo) is too low.
    I never suggested shimming the capo either, I shimmed the fret.
    You need to make the fret with the capo behind it higher, because it is now a zero fret.

Hope that makes things clear.

6. Hi George.
    Thanks for your patience , as I said on the first message I'm not an expert on english and I mixed up your explanation with the next one (from Jani, if I spell it right).
    If I'm understanding now ,you say that a solution would be to add height on the fret so the string will be slightly away from the frets betwen it and the nut.
    -But if I could set the nut to be a little higher , would'nt it be just the same.??
    -How can I tell if it'is not too low?
    I say that because the frets on my bass are well levelled I fear that highering one of then could be a problem for next frets .

Hope I can make miself clear.
    see ya.

7. Now I'm totally confused.

Okay, here we go ...

No, you don't shim the fret in between the nut and the capo, you should shim the fret in between the capo and the body, so you raise the string slightly above the frets between it and your fretting finger.
    That is where it buzzez right ? In between the capo and your fretting finger ?
    Because that was the impression I got from your first post.

As for your nut height, check my first post in THIS thread ...
    Like I said, push down the strings in between the second and third fret (or just put your capo there) and check if all the strings clear the first fret.
    The strings should clear the first fret, but just slightly, a nut that's too high will cause buzzing problems too.

Why are you worried about the higher fret affecting the other frets ? It's not really a fret anymore, it's a zero fret, it is basically a nut.
    And the frets in between the nut and the capo have no function anymore whatsoever.
    You only get the buzzing when you use the capo, right ?
    Cause, once again, that was the impression I got.

:confused:

8. jani_bjorklund

jani_bjorklund

May 22, 2002
    Finland
    Guys. I think "tracker br" is refering to the nut as "capo". Who would use a capo on a bass anyway? And I think your bass is buzzing behind the fret you're actually playing because of a low nut. Am I right or am I right? I don't actually understand the talk about hightening one fret at all. Never heard of such a procedure. As I understand it this bass doesn't have a 0 fret, it only has a regular nut that's too low by what I hear.

9. If that's the case, totally forget about shimming the fret, that was something I thought of for use with (and ONLY with) a capo. (a real one, not a nut)

10. YEAH! we found the source of the misunderstood!
    I changed the words nut (the string holder at the end of the neck ) by capo , the one you use on a guitar.Very very sorry about that , and that made george think something different from my original problem.
    Thanks Jani , my problem is exactly that when i play some notes , the vibratiom makes the string buzz betwen the pressed finger and the NUT and the buzz is loud enoght to disturb the amplified sound.
    The only solution for me is a LOT of neck bow , or changing the nut (but that is better if done by an expert).
    thanks again, guys.

11. So that means that your nut is too low, but you don't have to replace it.
    Just make it higher by sticking a piece of tape on the underside of the nut.
    Just be very carefull when you remove the nut.
    On most basses it is just pressed into the slot and secured with a little bit of glue. (hopefully)
    After shimming the nut (adding tape) just press it back into the slot and test the bass.
    When you're sure everything is OK, take the nut back out and secure it with a little drop of superglue, but just a little drop, cause you'll never get it out again when you use too much glue.

Good luck ...