1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

It comes down to this: Genz-Benz vs Markbass combos

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Shy Guy, Apr 18, 2010.

1. Genz Benz combo

15 vote(s)
    53.6%
  2. Markbass combo

13 vote(s)
    46.4%
  1. Shy Guy

Shy Guy

Sep 23, 2008
    Templeton, MA
    Ok, so recently I've been hauling around my ampeg BA115 HP a lot and have come to the conclusion that it might be worth it to upgrade to a better combo. I've been tooling around on this http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend...0500W-2x10-TiltBack-Bass-Combo-Amp?sku=481794 for a while now and have come to love it. However, I have heard many good things about Genz Benz and was possibly thinking about purchasing this combo http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend...0-Watt-Lightweight-Bass-2x10-Combo?sku=482112. Between these two combos what advantages would the Genz have over the Markbass? Also, are Genz-Benz products US made or asian made?

2. I have only tried Markbass in the store and now own GB.

3. yamaha

yamaha

Apr 7, 2006
    Montreal
    Both very good choices. I like Markbass tone more over Genz, but it is personnal selection. I think there are as many that choose Genz over Markbass for the same reason. Markbass & Genz really well made. But Genz wins over on custommer service, they are amazing (I have owned quite a few Genz products). I also prefer the tone of Markbass speakers quite a bit over Genz, so I would definately choose the CMD if it were me, but there are quite a few Genz speaker lovers out there.

On a purchase like this, you might want to A/B them in a store. Super easy with combos. You can even ask the salesman for a A/B switch. Value, specs, etc... both good choices. Ears will determine the right one for you.

4. Genz Benz makes fanstastic, lightweight, highly reliable and completely clean sounding equipment. I own several Genz Benz amps and cabs and am very happy. Their customer service is second to none, as well.

I think the only rub between Genz Benz is that "completely clean sounding" part. If you like having that overdriven, slightly dirty sound, the MarkBass amps will get you at least part of the way there in a way that Genz Benz gear will not. Friday night, just to experiment, I played my MIA Fender Jazz into an EBS ValveDrive, through my pedalboard, into a Little Mark II, into a Genz Benz Neox 1-12, at a bar gig where there was limited space for a bass amp. I wasn't playing with any distortion device as such. The result was very good, had 'em dancing (which is unusual at this bar). I'm not sure my Genz Benz would have sounded the same.

I should mention I play in several groups including playing an upright through a Genz Benz 3.0 Shuttle with the 8" speaker and the DI out to the FOH, using the Genz cab as a monitor, and it's the ideal piece of equipment in the world for that use. But back to bass guitar, I recommend all the Genz Benz gear but you might want to experiment with a LittleMark, especially those VLF and VLE knobs, because you get tones that are not readily available on a Genz. :bassist:

5. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    They are both very nice setups. The tone is up to you. My only problem with Markbass is the looks. They remind me of a DeWalt boom box you see on construction site. I like the Genz.

6. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

+1.

I would be REALLY careful with buying a MB combo before giving one a good workout.

Personally, I can't stand their speakers/cabs.

MB combos are absolutely an acquired taste.

If you like them over GB, great... but try both first.

7. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    I'd seriously consider throwing the new GK combos onto your short list. I've never really been a GK guy, but last night I was at a GC and plugged a Jazz into the new 200w 115 combo selling for $399. Really nice sound, sensitive eq, light as a feather.

8. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

May 20, 2008
    Depends. If you like to flip gear before the warranty expiration, and you prefer the MB sound, there is no advantage. If you expect long term customer support, Genz Benz all the way. They have a factory in Taiwan.

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    markbass combo won't, either. the lm3 in the combo amps are all solid state with no way of getting distortion.

10. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Get yourself the MB 210 combo now and perhaps add a 115 later for bigger gigs later?

Personally, I prefer the warmth, girth and fullness of MB over GB but they are both good.

11. peetey

peetey

Mar 9, 2007
    Montreal, Canada
    I'm pretty sure both of those combos are for sale in the classified section. Save a few bucks, buy used and support your TB community!

12. Markbass. Why? Warmer. But that's IMO.

13. Greg75

Greg75

Nov 20, 2009
    Santa Monica
    Like almost all who have responded, I think both brands are first-rate. Of the combos I've tried, the MarkBass CMD 102p was the best to my ear. But the Genz wins on versatilty--I like having the option of using the amp or cab separately. Still, the sound was different enough to cause me to by the MB combo, which is what I used before trading to the MB Little Mark III Mesa 212 I now use.

My advice: pick whichever sounds best to you and, if it's the MarkBass, consider getting separates. GC and others, including TB classifieds, often have deals on separate Little Marks and cabs priced close to, or better than some of the combos.