Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MaskedJackal, Jul 19, 2005.

1. Yessir, a red 8-string explorer bass custom. Oh, how I've dreamed.

For just $750 bucks.

BUT! Should I buy the Michael Kelly ST-AB4 I'm saving for right now? Or should I get this baby? HELP!

2. The amazingly cost-effective and talented luthier Scott Hembry- . He also did a great job on Pklima's left-handed double-neck, which can be seen on the site.
  3. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    That thing is so sweet it bears repeating:

4. Keeaumoku

Dec 29, 2004
    Damn, Sam! I'll take two! If you don't buy it... I will!!! :smug:
  5. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    buy the explorer.

6. Michael Kelly's will come and go..........but an 8-string's a sign. Pass on this, and you'll regret it. Maybe not now, maybe not tomorrow, but soon and for the rest of your life.

:oops: Boy, heat stroke is kind of trippy. *LOL*
  7. Has anyone played on of these?

8. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Honestly, that's the most beautiful Explorer bass I've ever seen. The 4+4 headstock looks good on a long neck, not a banana headstock.

I should have mentioned that this isn't a one-time opportunity with the Explorer- I was thinking about CUSTOM ordering this. I'm currently saving for the Michael Kelly.

So, now that I guess I'm saving for the 8-string, what good cheap acoustic basses are out there? I've heard the Dean Playmate EAB is good, but I dunno, it's only $150....
  10. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Will he give you a break on the custom 8-string Explorer if you order two? If so, PM me! ;)

That would be a very cool bass as an 8-string (I own a 4-string Gibson Explorer), especially with the skinny strings down (as I am a fingerstyle player).

11. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    Man I would love to see an eight string explorer that wasnt doubled. Im sure Jean baudin would rock it! :smug:
  12. Kelly Coyle

Kelly Coyle Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Mankato, MN
    Maybe we could get a group rate on eight string explorers. (Actually, I'm just in love with the doubleneck Tele thing. I can't think why you'd want one, but I want one.)
  13. I'd like to see a 5'er in black. sexay...
  14. This is Scott Hembry of Hembry Guitars. I just wanted to say thanks for all of the kind words.
  15. sanders riddle

sanders riddle

Jul 21, 2005
    well my name is sanders riddle and that is my flm hembry bass yes it plays and sounds like a dream
  16. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    What kind of pickups are in it? Just curious.

17. sanders riddle

sanders riddle

Jul 21, 2005
    Hi my name is Sanders Riddle and that is my FLM Hembry Flame 5-String Bass Guitar. My bass plays wonderful one of the best playing and looking bass guitars ever :hyper:. i got it from