It finally clicked!

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Eddie Jones, Jun 6, 2021.

1. Eddie Jones

Eddie Jones

Sep 18, 2019
    Sylacauga AL
    I have been toiling away for several years trying to learn guitar. Had to quit in 2017 due to some personal tragedy and had to sell all my equipment. I never really got guitar. Fast forward to present and I recently (last week) got me a bass. Watched a few vids about chord tones, scales and plucking techniques. All of a sudden, I got it! I understand the fretboard and how it's laid out. I understand the role of the bass in a musical setting. I understand how bass chord tones are the foundation of most music. And most surprisingly, my fingers worked the way they should. Floating thumb technique came naturally. This is the instrument I should have been playing all along. I am so stoked it finally clicked. I love this damned thing. It is so powerful when needed but can also evoke emotion when played with a light touch. I may end up being the first fat, bald bass player to play at Coachella (just kidding). And I have been reading posts and watching vids that you guys have posted. A whole world of musical possibilities has opened up. BTW, aside from normal bass heroes like Jaco, Geddy and Claypool, my new bass hero is the guy from Riverside...(sorry don't know his name)

2. James Collins

James Collins

Mar 25, 2017
    Augusta, GA
    welcome to the deep end.

_Obra_ likes this.
  3. Eddie Jones

Eddie Jones

Sep 18, 2019
    Sylacauga AL
    Thanks. I should have been here all along

4. This is exactly how I felt when it finally clicked for me at the age 52 after a 20-yr musical hiatus, having given up being a singer/guitarist at the age of 32!

5. Eddie Jones

Eddie Jones

Sep 18, 2019
    Sylacauga AL
    I get it. I tried for years, had cool equipment, but couldn't put it together. I could do scales and power chords but couldn't figure out where to go from there. People would see my equipment and ask if I played. Tough to tell them I really couldn't. Now, I am a bass player

bholder likes this.
  6. WrapRough

WrapRough

Jan 26, 2021
    London
    Welcome to the club, glad you've found your "thing".

Now let's talk about modes.

Just kidding :D

Groove Doctor likes this.
  7. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    New England
    Good for you. IMHO you should keep playing
    a guitar also. It's nice to have a chording axe
    to hear and work out tunes better.

8. Eddie Jones

Eddie Jones

Sep 18, 2019
    Sylacauga AL
    Actually, when I say it clicked, it truly clicked. I am working through some of the modes right now and honestly, I think the fact that I tried to play the guitar and knew a lot of theory as applies to a six string is what has helped it to finally make sense..the way everything inter-connects is awesome. And I am finding the floating thumb technique and the two finger plucking are easy and I can say that now I am playing stuff that sounds musical and not just like a scale. I was going over videos last night of a guy named Josh online and was able to play the lines that he was teaching to certain songs. Music is fun again. I am stoked. I actually have worked my speed up to where I can keep up on a lot of songs I am hearing. Another side bonus is my "playing by ear" just got so much better. I can hear the differences in most notes. Even the octaves. And I look really good as a bald head, overweight 59 year old bass player. I look like the bass player in "Prong" (just kidding)

9. Eddie Jones

Eddie Jones

Sep 18, 2019
    Sylacauga AL
    And I make a helluva "bass face"

Groove Doctor likes this.
  10. Eddie Jones

Eddie Jones

Sep 18, 2019
    Sylacauga AL
    Mariusz Duda, is the guy from Riverside that just blew me away

11. Eddie Jones

Eddie Jones

Sep 18, 2019
    Sylacauga AL
    I actually was watching a video on modes and even that is starting to click....should have been thumping years ago

12. Eddie Jones

Eddie Jones

Sep 18, 2019
    Sylacauga AL
    I am now doing stuff I could never do on guitar. I am playing along to slow songs and mostly getting it right. I have my alternate plucking to 200bpm without my fingers tripping over each other. And getting scales under my fingers. And my floating thumb technique is getting there.

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 2, 2021