1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

It Finally Hit Me!!!

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Jalen Fuller, Nov 22, 2020.

1. I thought I would be able to fight against the tide and really go for a music major, but I can't anymore. This Wednesday after a month or so of struggling in music theory I've came to a realization that not only was this class but this major is not for me. So later that night I dropped music theory and two days later I've submitted my form for a major change to History. To be honest history is something I love and have a connection with much more often than music. Also I can do way more things with a history degree that can earn me a comfortable living than music. To be honest I wasn't practicing the homework nor studying the material until the last minute mainly out of lack of interest. I was barley practicing bass either which has been the case even more as I started considering making a switch. At first when switching my major I thought that I'd still practice in case I do decided to pursue a career playing bass even with another degree, but I don't even think I may be playing much longer. At this point whatever happens there happens, but I rather thank all the people here that gave me the lowdown on what I should do in this situation and I'm thankful for some of the hardest critics here who warned that I should weigh my option.

kohanmike, osv, johnnynitro and 57 others like this.
  2. Malcolm35

Malcolm35

Aug 7, 2018
    Football coaches teach history. Good luck.

3. One suggestion: figure out now the jobs that you will be able to get, what they pay, and what your budget will look like after graduation including any loan payments you may have.

Be realistic. Don’t go with what you “could” make but what is typical.

Once you do that, you may want to switch majors or perhaps do a double major.

There’s nothing wrong with being a history major, but the opportunities aren’t as numerous or well compensated as in STEM, business, economics, etc. If you are fine with that and go in with your eyes open, then follow your heart.

4. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    This. History will pretty much pay squat unless you become the foremost expert in a field. Make sure you're passionate about it. Because you won't get rich from it.

5. I will do, I have been looking at what I can expect to do and there are lots of options but I have the time to narrow it down to my top few and continue from there.

31HZ and DiscoRiceJ like this.
  6. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    In college, I didn't major in music, but still took 4 semesters of theory, voice lessons, jazz workshop, chorale, and synthesizer theory and programming.

In other words, if you plan, you can take all the music you want.

7. I don’t want to be rich, I just want to be happy especially from what I go through to don’t need to chase anything anymore unless it’s what I desire

8. So you do...and you don’t.

The earlier you can hone in on what you intend to do after graduation, the sooner you can start trying to make connections with people, and building your professional experience. It’s not the end of the world if you don’t do it now, but just remember that among your peers, there are people already working on this.

If your parents have connections, it can help, but honestly you’ll need to learn how to build a network of professional contacts so you might as well get started now.

The most important aspect in networking isn’t to approach it from the perspective of how you can benefit. It’s about getting to know people and letting them get to know you and what makes you...”you”. If you make it a priority early to figure out how to demonstrate your worth and willingness, it makes a big difference.

9. RyanOh

RyanOh Gold Supporting Member

I went off to music college and transferred out after the first semester. I've met plenty of people who graduated and persued their dream, but I just knew it wasn't for me. I can relate to your post and wish you the best.

Music can always be a part of your life, doesn't have to to be an occupation.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
  10. I will do.

kohanmike, EatS1stBassist and g-dude like this.
  11. Kubicki Fan

Kubicki Fan

Oct 3, 2014
    Canada
    Great advise. Networking: the often overlooked tool and underdeveloped skill. There are successful corporate types that have spent maybe 30 minutes on a resume in their entire lives.

12. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Remember, the average college student changes majors more than once. Take your classes, learn and expand your intellect, and speak with your advisor and career services to find a major that you enjoy, and will prepare you for your life/career.

13. Actually, football coaches usually teach Phys Ed.

Jalen: An undergrad degree in history is similar to a Liberal Arts degree, in terms of employment opportunities. With an advanced degree in history you can teach at the HS level; college level usually requires a PhD. There is also public history, which can include Historic Preservation, Archives or museum work. You may want to investigate American Studies, which can combine history with other coursework such as Writing, Anthropology, sociology, library science, etc.

My undergrad degree was Historical Anthropology, and I intended to become an Archaeologist. But I decided that teaching wasn’t something that I was interested in. So I took a position with a state historical museum as an exhibit developer. I researched, planned, designed, installed and maintained museum exhibits for over thirty years. I also wrote articles for history journals, helped out with archaeological excavations, and designed exhibit lighting. It was fun, rewarding, interesting, and I was lucky to be able to make a decent living doing something that I loved doing.

I personally believe that no education is wasted, meaning that all your education and life experiences add up to your sum total of knowledge, and that knowledge can open doors and take you places. Good luck on your journey.

14. Do what feels good for you. I’ve always loved history and aced it in high school with ease. I often regret not getting into after high school, but I surmised the only job it would lead to would be as a teacher. There was a recession going on at that time and there were no jobs available for teachers, so I took a different route. I couldn’t see the long game unfortunately.

15. BarfanyShart

BarfanyShart

Sep 19, 2019
    DC Metro
    History majors also do well in law school, the volume of reading and writing prepares you for the JD grind. I knew a couple guys in music school who switched out and did something else, and they were definitely happier for it, and actually went on to do some pretty interesting musical projects. One guy in particular was a jazz sax major, switched to philosophy and education, and then started a regionally-known neo-classical-gonzo-metal project as lead guitarist and songwriter.

16. callofcthulhu

callofcthulhu

Oct 16, 2012
    TBH I would be surprised if there are (m)any jobs which having a degree in history would open up to you which having a degree in music wouldn't also open up to you.

But (with the exception of performing at the Broadway/Nashville/NYC jazz/regional symphony orchestra level) I don't know that the reverse is any less true. So, you do you.

I also dare you to ask anyone over the age of 30 "Did you think you'd be doing [their current job] when you decided to major in [the degree they earned]?" I bet you'll get a "Yes" answer 60/40. Tops.

17. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    If you study something that interests you, pursue a career that interests you, you will find happiness.
    I'm trying to say this in a way that doesn't sound too hippie...
    You can't live someone else's life. And 100% good on you for admitting to yourself that you need a change before you finished. Best of luck.

kohanmike, J_Bass, yodedude2 and 2 others like this.
  18. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    Pick something that you can sustain interest in. If you go into a field because it "pays well", but your heart isn't into it, long term you'll suck at it, and.....unemployment doesn't really pay well. If you have enough passion to persist* in a field, you will eventually rise to the top of the field, where you'll probably make at least a decent living.

The people that succeed in making music into a viable living are (mostly) those that don't have a plan B - music is the ONLY thing many of them can envision doing, which drives them to work their butts off, and they get REALLY good. You were phoning it in, good call on diverting, and picking something that you really like.

* Persistence may mean decades.

19. L Anthony

L Anthony Supporting Member

May 14, 2009
    Ohio
    I understand your decision. Good for you. However, also understand that humanities degrees in general, have a lot of people who ultimately get jobs in areas that have nothing to do with those degrees. (I myself fell into this category; later on, a lot of my law school classmates did the same). Also keep in mind that post COVID-19, fewer opportunities may exist in some of the employment areas you are considering than did before.

Whatever you do, learn about many things; even if you might hate such classes at the time, they may serve you well later. Good luck!

bassb66 and Jalen Fuller like this.
  20. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    I was told it was 2.5 times. Which means, for every person like me (I changed mine zero times), someone has to change their major 5 times just to make the math work out. I'm glad I knew what I wanted going in.

That said, when it becomes obvious you're in the wrong field, by all means pick a different one. Part of college is trying things out and finding out what doesn't work for you before you're too far into things.

equill, Blueinred and red_rhino like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 25, 2021