Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

IT firms - arrogant? (long post)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by BassyBill, Feb 25, 2006.

1. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    This week I finally upgraded my PC and was then able to switch from 56k to a broadband connection. The PC is great, but I had some reservations about the software provided by my ISP (Blue Yonder). The email I sent as feedback should make things clear - here it is! Any of you IT guys got any views on this? I'd be interested to hear whether you think I'm being reasonable or maybe over-reacting.

Email contents...

"This week I switched from your dial up internet service to broadband. The installation was quick and efficient. But I am very unhappy about your installation CD.

This seems to be one of the worst examples of corporate “hijacking” of a user’s PC I have yet to come across. In fact the CD never went anywhere near my machine – I would have chosen another service before using your own recommended installation procedure. One of the instructions I particularly found objectionable included the statement that I “must” install using the CD to receive the service. I wonder if anyone at your company could tell me why? As it was, I connected the PC to the modem, made a few simple changes to connection settings and everything worked perfectly.

Another issue concerned the use of your PC Guard software. I already own a very good collection of software that I paid for to carry out this function (Norton Internet Security, which I find works very well). Why then do you insist that I disable this to use your own version? I know you will reply by saying that you can’t offer support to other companies’ products if they won’t work with your service – but you know as well as I do what a feeble excuse that is for getting people to use your software in preference to someone else’s.

The last thing I wish to object to is having “provided by blue yonder” emblazoned over all my software such as Internet Explorer and Outlook Express. I don’t know whether you still do this as I didn’t use the CD on this occasion, but the last time I used any blue yonder installation software (when setting up my dial up connection) this is what it did. I already own Windows XP, which includes the two programs mentioned above. Why then should I be told that you have “provided” them for me? All I’m purchasing from you is my Internet connection.

I know that some less experienced users will appreciate a CD that walks them through any technical changes step by step, but I really think that not giving your customers any choice about how they wish to use your service is anachronistic and also rather arrogant on your behalf. I look forward to hearing a sensible reaction to these comments (rather than a knee jerk denial) from someone involved with policy at your company."

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    well, they print those and suggest those instruction for the 98% of the population that has no clue. It's nothing personal, it's attempting to make the least amount of issues for the customer AND support team.

As far as the branding... I've built quite a few "custom" IE installers. If you are taking the time to put an installer together it's worth the time to "brand" it as best you can.

Here is Microsoft's IE build tool
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/ie/ieak/default.mspx

3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Sorry Bill, you are over-reacting. All of the add-ons are provided as bonuses to subscribers, and useful to the clueless. That will attract many of those who are PC clueless.

Obviously you did not "have" to use it, so that claim was probably incorrect.

-Mike

4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    also... about your "Norton".

If I had a dollar for everytime I've heard either

"Oh, you mean I need to update that?"

or

"It kept popping up a message it was out of date, so I uninstalled it"

I'd be buying Gates lunch ;)

5. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Thanks for the quick responses guys!

I'm sure you're right, Mike, about the appeal of easy installs and add-ons to some users. I'm not objecting to their provision, only to the way in which they're presented as being compulsory "choices".

James - Norton - what do you mean, "update"?? ;) :D

6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I know what you mean. There are so many "dummies" out there that they must present it that way. People like yourself who know better get caught up in the mix. Thank goodness you are smart enough to know the difference. Good job!

-Mike

7. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    The first time i got cable internet (over 6 years ago) i didnt know much about computers so i used the install CD the cable company provided.

i spent more time fighting with that software and getting connected after a reboot. the software always wanted to do connectivity and server status checks before i could do anything and invariable one of the servers would time and hold up my internet surfing. i spent quite a bit of time on the phone with their customer support over it.

about 6 months later i formatted and reinstalled everything on the machine. i double clicked Internet Explorer out of curiosity and it worked immediately.

i had learned my lesson then. since then i have learned a lot more about computers though.

i agree, bill, i think that their wording should be different. there are too many times when software is presented in a way that your life just will not function unless you use OUR software.