Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

It happened again. GAS. For a Stingray?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by embellisher, Jan 19, 2002.

1. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I want a Stingray 5. There is no way around it. Now I've just got to figure out what color I want, and how I can afford to get it. The tone that is in my head is in that bass.

So, Stingray owners, how much can I expect to pay for a transparent finish and an upgraded pickguard? I already know about the 4 month wait. Of course, I can get around that if I go through Bass Central. Oh yeah. Do Stingrays include the case, or is it extra?

2. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    ive got a solution for you! ok

go to the zoo msic here in ft worth, and buy my old stingray... then on the way home, make a stop by my house, drop it off here in exchange for my soundgear. and just like that, a 5 string.not juts any 5 string, a soundgear, then u can be like FiElDy. theres no way around it jeff, you want to do this deal.

or , you could just go through basscentral and get the 5 string stingray...

which ever suits you:rolleyes: :D ;)

3. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    i understa you completely jeff!
    the stingray is with high probability the best insurtial made bass out there for a lot of reasons. i have GAS for that instrument too. but my GAS is now cured, i started building instruments years ago and now i can build great quality ones. now i'm working on a jazz V it will have the j retro and homemade body, neck and pickup. the next project is a stingray, i'll use the SD pickups and electronics. i found that building basses make me busy and i spend less money. i don't have anymore that stupid feeling about "i want them all, i trade my instruments for that one..." when i go to music shop and i feel much more relaxed. back to the topic the stingray rules!

good luck

4. Gman

Gman

Jan 4, 2000
    Indianapolis, IN
    Jeff, check your e-mail.

Dave

5. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I'm always GASsing for MM basses. I really dislike their sound but everytime I go in to a store that has one, I play it for a good 20 minutes.

I'm not sure on the price for the upgraded p/g & matching headstock but I remember when I worked @ Sam Ash, the case was extra. If you're thinking of getting it through Bass Central, give Gard a call. And their phone # is toll free

6. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    Stingrays are very common on bassgear.com, harmonycentral.com, and ebay. Mints and excellents average $700-900. I'd go used, then add the guard that you want for another $50. Cases included 90% of the time.
    Doc

7. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Guess I'm gonna be hearin' from Jeff again soon.... ;)

Jeff, you gotta PM (well...I guess not, you got a full inbox....so it's e-mail)

(Hope this GAS won't interfere with the plans for the better half's NS5CRFM! :eek: ;) )

8. Harpo

Harpo

Feb 1, 2001
    Kings Park NY
    My Wife ordered My Stingray5 from Bass Central
    Thanks Gard she got a great deal and even better service and that comes with the case . It is a very
    cool color Trans Blue with White Pearloid Guard and
    Maple Board.

PS Gard I will be in the Tampa on Monday Jan 28

9. Jeff , About the case included part of your new Ray deal , I can tell you that most often you are paying for that case one way or another. If you can get a better deal on the bass without it I would opt that way and buy the Ernie Ball MusicMan gig bag made by Levys. The case that usually comes with the Ray made by G&G while very well constructed weighs a ton along with the Ray which ain't no lightweight became a real pain to lug around in a short time , Just a thought! By the way the case weight was the only thing I didn't love about my Stingray purchase.

10. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    The new SR5's come with a lightweight, molded rectangular case and the Music Man site gives you price lists for pickguard upgrades. Check riksmusic.com before you order anything new.

11. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

When I bought my Stingray 4 new a long, long time ago (1998) the best price I could find online was http://www.riksmusic.com. Their service was good and they later traded me back straight up for another bass (I'm way beyond those now). Check 'em out as another option.

12. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    Hey Jeff, Hope your G.A.S is taken care of soon. I think a new stingray with matching headstock and perloid pickguard can be had for about $1400.. My bass has the matching headstock and perloid pickguard And I got mine for $1401. THey do come with there very own musicman case. But of course you can always get you a really nice Undercover gigbag from Gard if you don't like lugging around huge cases :)... good luck with getting your bass.

peace,
    Jim

13. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
  14. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    Go to Riksmusic.Com and get a quote. They quoted me $949.95 for a four string Stingray and $1049.99 for a five string Stingray.Plus there is no sales tax or shipping charges.

15. can you post a pick of this bass? (mm builder won't show that color)

16. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    Harpo -

You should drive on over!! It's not too far, and it'd be like Disney World for basses! :D

Cant -

Yup, go on to Rik's, then call me, I'll match or beat 'em every time. :cool: Not to mention I bet I have more in stock to choose from.

WWP -

Go to www.basscentral.com, click on the link to basses, then the link to Musicman, then to the Stingray 5, scroll down a bit, and you'll see a SR5 Trans Blue with a matching headstock and black pearloid pickguard.

17. Harpo

Harpo

Feb 1, 2001
    Kings Park NY
    Gard Will You be their on Monday I was planning on it I will be in Clearwater Sunday to Tuesday (27 to 29) We are flying down to Tampa for a Cruise this Sunday I hope the wife and I don't get stuck
    with the Snow It just started to snow here in NY .

18. ive been playin around with that stingray builder for the last 30 min...thats fun :D (nothin else to do on sat )

19. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    thats a pretty good bass to get a GAS attack over, Ive seen MM fivers in stores here for $1500 if that is of any help to you I dont know.

20. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    Yes, I'll be in the store all day, 10-7, on Monday. Look forward to you stoppin' by! phogchris was in yesterday, nice guy, very good player. Gave him several different cases of GAS ;). You'll have fun...:D