1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

It happens to all of us!

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by west*coast*bass, Oct 24, 2010.

1. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    A short story...

I am 46 years old and have been playing bass since I was 15. I have been playing with the same drummer and one of our bands guitarists since then, yeah it's a long time.

Anyway we had a gig tonight at a new club with a pretty good crowd; we generally pull in about 60 or so folks and we are a tight band. We all know the material and have a lot of fun playing together. Well...tonight I have no idea what happened. It was odd...we started at the gate and ran out like a 3 legged horse. I have no idea what the hell happened...our lead guitar player totally blew the first song - the lead singer had trouble with the next 2! We never do this - I was standing on stage laughing because all I could think of was that I was happy it was at the beginning of a 3 set night - I knew everyone would be slightly intoxicated by the end and completely forget the beginning.

It just goes to show, no matter how much you rehearse, no matter how long you have been in the game, every once in a while the God of music comes down and kicks you in the crotch!

And by the way, this gig...this CRAZY gig was the highest paying so far. And everyone loved the music. Go figure!

Play every note with passion, even if you screw up, and people will respond positively!

Peace!

2. palmann

palmann

Sep 3, 2006
    Germany
    I know, we screw up all the time. Seems to be „our style”… :meh: :smug:

Gruesse, Pablo

3. wow, I've never had an "off night" that was due to performance. Usually it's when we're playing a house party and there is no way to hear yourself sing, or hear the other instruments - that screws up both your bass and vocals. Nobody ever seems to notice though if you just look like you aren't screwing up. Those house shows were how we got all of our other shows.

4. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    my off night was more due to trying to be clever,
    my old punk band had the brilliant idea of playing the songs at about 10 percent the speed we regularly play them to sound more hard and heavy, only problem was when you are young and amped up and ready to explode on the first song it's impossible to play that slow and we played our first three songs so badly people thought it was a joke