1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

It hurts me! (Ric butchery content)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by IntrepidCellist, Oct 28, 2009.

1. IntrepidCellist

IntrepidCellist

Sep 10, 2009
    Manhattan
  2. narcopolo

narcopolo

Sep 12, 2005
    richmond, va
    yeah, but for 900 bucks that'd be worth fixing.

3. It is restorable. Might not be that big of a job.

4. christw

christw Get low!

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    I want to be Tesla (tinkerer at Dayton Amp Co)
    I'd do it. Buy it I mean. I've wanted to drop a single coil P at the bridge and toaster at the neck of my '75 for a while. I just don't have the guts to change it. It's too good as is. (Someone put a replacement hi gain in the bridge at some point though.)

5. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Maybe if it had active emgs in it. Or at least latest generation emg hz which are much better then the selects.

6. GregShadoan

GregShadoan

Sep 1, 2008
    Oregon
    You would have to look under the hood to really know that. It may be super easy, it may be an almost total loss. This ad has been morphing over time. It started out stating that he would NOT sell it to anyone who would want to restore it. It looks like his stance, and price are softening up a bit. :crying: It would certainly be better if the original parts were included. Probably long gone.

7. new pick guard and youre ready to make her like new again

8. BassikLee

BassikLee Commercial User

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    Owner: Brevard Sound Systems
    My thoughts: not worth anywhere near $900. What would it cost for a new pickguard, wiring harness, both pickups, and the bridge pickup surround?? Add that to 900 bucks, AND you still end up with a bass that has had some wood removed. Methinks this would be a great deal at around 500, but for 900, does not appeal to me at all.

9. pringlw

pringlw

Nov 22, 2008
    Seattle Area
    The tricky thing with routing on Ricks is that you can run into neck problems - especially with 4001s. Remember they are neck through body. If you take too much wood out, it destabilizes the neck (and given that there's no bolt on) you can't shim to correct. I think the fact that so much wood is already routed out of a Rick contributes to this.

It was always speculated that this is what happened to Cliff Burton's Rick. He modded up his Rick, and then later had neck problems and stopped using it for a while.

Anyway, for this reason, I never stop to consider a Rick that's had aftermarket routing.

10. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 God of Thunder and Rock and Roll Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    Certainly restore-able :) New guard and stock pups and you are all set.

11. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    god that 'guard looks like it's wearing a freaking bib. :scowl:

12. kcole4001

kcole4001

Oct 7, 2009
    Nova Scotia
    Tasteful and stylish mods are often the exception it seems, and this one is neither.

There is a cure, it's not cheap, but a real luthier can replace the removed wood and refinish the bass in a solid colour and you'd never know it had been altered.
    I've seen the results on 4001s that have been butchered much worse, and even on a 4005 (hollow body).

If a pro does the job, it's often better than new when he's done, and you can have a non-standard finish of your choice.

You'd really need a good reason to shell out that kind of money, it can run pretty close to if not over the cost of a new or decent used bass.
    It would have to be rare, bought really cheap, have sentimental value, etc. to be worthwhile, but it can be done.

13. KramerBassFan

KramerBassFan

Jan 3, 2009
    Haven't there already been at least half four Ric' threads where somebody put EMG's selects in their bass......... :ninja:

14. NortyFiner

NortyFiner Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Portsmouth VA USA
    The guy who did this should be beaten bloody senseless with that poor Ric. Not that he wasn't senseless from the start to have mutilated a Ric like that... :rollno:

15. your idol

your idol

Oct 13, 2008
    Murfreesboro TN
    BINGO.. a $900 fixer upper. :rollno:

16. I'm Ricken-sobin! :bawl:

17. I'm pretty sure this one has been circulating in the same condition for YEARS. There can't be that many 'burst Rics with huge white pickguards and EMG selects floating around. If it says "BRAAAAAAAAINS!" when you open the case, I'm outta here.

18. GregShadoan

GregShadoan

Sep 1, 2008
    Oregon
    Its actullay a burgundy glo. A real luthier can fix it, but at what cost. Depends on the damage..erm mod. These necks with too much routing can get bendier. High action and what not.
    Buying new would be cheaper.