1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

it is a trussrod?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by rockr4Christ, Nov 29, 2006.

1. rockr4Christ

rockr4Christ

Oct 30, 2006
    Hong Kong
    :bag:
    Im not sure if this has been posted before, but I need help quick.

I own a 2005 Warwick thumb BO 5, and I lowered the strings with the cool adjusta bridge thingy to go down as far as the saddles allow it, which is easier to play, and i love it...but i had to adjust the intonation by lengthing the string on the adjustable saddle positioner thingy...so i did by ear matching all the open pitches to their respective 12th fret harmonics, and all the first four went off ok, but when i got to the low b, i tried to get it adjusted, but the saddle wont go any farther, and the string is off pitch by say...a quater step sharp... I also get fret buzz by the top 5 frets ( i think its the nut, but not sure) so i adjusted the nut up and its still there, down same thing...Is my trussrod off?
    *ends long rambling post*

Thanks alot guys

edit: and if it is off...should i fix it or pay someone to?

2. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx

Also note that the nut will never effect anything past the first fret. Rule of thumb is set the neck relief first, then do the other adjustments. You can almost always fix the B string intonation problem by going to a tapercore string if nothing else works.

3. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    If the taper is over the witness point, the intonation point moves toward the nut. The no-tapered string's end point for vibration is actually in front of the physical witness point due to the string's inherent thickness/stiffness. A taper over the witness point allows vibration physically closer to the saddle.

4. rockr4Christ

rockr4Christ

Oct 30, 2006
    Hong Kong
    Hello,
    thanks for the quick response, unfortunately I am relatively new to setup on bass, and i am unsure of how to measure neck relief...Looking back i should have researched this more, but i just dove in and did it (followed the manuel tho), and is a trussrod something that i should do? or is it a repair shop time?
    Thanks

ps. what is a tapercore string? (or is this for the strings forum? ^^)