It Is Finished

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Skorzen, Jul 28, 2002.

1. Skorzen

Mar 15, 2002
    Springfield MA
    After long hours of working, and about $400 I have finished my first attemt at creating a bass. This creation has been a great learning expirience, and I plan for at least another to follow :D

The specs are:
    35" scale
    24 frets
    pau ferro fretboard
    Bubinga top with a few Paduak highlights (They were planned ... really :D )
    Walnut back
    Five piece Graphite re-enforced neck with Maple/Walnut/Ipe/walnet/Maple laminations
    Schaller Bridge with Gotoh tuners
    Bartolini pickups passive wiring(cash was a limiting factor here)

The bass plays better then I could have hoped for, I am able to get a real low action with out fret buzz. I would say that it plays about on par with my G&L. ok at last... here are the pics:[​IMG]
  2. FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    that's your first attempt? It looks awesome to me. I'm assuming that the bridge pickup cover was to cosmetically fix some bad routing or something, but it looks pretty cool to me. If it plays well, which you say it does, you've got yourself an awesome bass, especially for the price.
  3. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    I am thoroughly impressed! When's production start?:D
  4. Skorzen

Mar 15, 2002
    Springfield MA
    Yeah I don't think anything gets adrenalin going like realizing that the template just moved :D I decided to elaborate on the "mistake" and make it into something interesting. I thought about doing that around both pickups, but I thought it would look better with just one.
  5. hey! thats my chair! :eek:
    Nice bass, when do I get mine? :D
  6. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Nice job! And if this one is your first attempt, I'd like to see what you are gonna be making in the future.:)
  7. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Yes i agree that is an excellent first bass.... I like it... sound clips???
  8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Very nice! Did you laminate and carve the neck yourself? Where did you get the graphite reinforcement rods?
  9. Skorzen

Mar 15, 2002
    Springfield MA
    Yes I built the neck my self, I think that the difficulty of this is over rated. the rods came from Stewmac.

I hope I can get some up soon :D
  10. rickreyn

rickreyn Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    Very admirable and commendable; to make your own bass. Do it again!:cool:
  11. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Dude, great job! I envy guys who can do stuff like that. Other than bass playing, God give me the talent to cook. Trade ya!;)
  12. Great deal man!

I really like the look of the neck (I am a sucker for neck thrus though). How long did it take?
  13. Skorzen

Mar 15, 2002
    Springfield MA
    the pups are bartolini humbuchers, the tuning machines are Gotoh GB7s, and the bridge is a Schaller roller bridge.
  14. Listen

May 19, 2002
  15. RedV

Mar 19, 2002
    Eustis, FL
    Wow. Definitely wow for a first attempt:)

16. Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Excellent job man!! You plan on putting Dave Pushic outta business??
  17. that looks awesome man, I really love the laminates you chose for the neck. I like the back of the bass better, sorry:)