Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

It is ok to lacquer Warwick Corvette?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fozzy, May 27, 2004.

1. fozzy

fozzy

Jun 21, 2001
    Riga, Latvia, EU
    It is ok to lacquer Warwick Corvette? Does sound will suffer from that?

2. fozzy

fozzy

Jun 21, 2001
    Riga, Latvia, EU
    I'm tired to wax my Corvette every week, i's annoying! So, why not to lacquer body?? If it is ok, then i'll do it :D

3. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    If you play it regularly, that will not be enough in the long run :eek: it will dry out, get dirty, etc...

But waying once a month should be enough... or once every 1,5 months

I think lacquer will have an effect on tone, though.
    This rubbed-in oil with wax finish sounds open and growly; lacquer will have a more compressed, but clear tone in lows and highs

4. It depends mainly on how the laquer it's done. If they do it properly it shouldn't make real difference in the tone of any bass.
    I've seen other oiled warwicks being refinished with some kind of transparent (no color at all) non polished finish, in such a way that the looks are still natural wood, but protected by the thin coating, the bass also wont need waxing anymore!! This should also affect tone less than a laquer, as the coating is thinner.

Thinking about doing that to my Infinity.

5. mrbungle

mrbungle

Nov 13, 2000
    tampere, finland
    The lacquer will affect tone, appearence, _and resale value_! Don't do it! I wax my 'Vette and Thumb maybe three times in a year, so it's not that annoying.

6. frigo

frigo burn in hell!

Dec 8, 2003
    Italy
    mmmm...
    it's like buyng a dog and complainig because he barks..
    next time buy a fender ;)

7. fozzy

fozzy

Jun 21, 2001
    Riga, Latvia, EU
    No way dude, because i have F.H.S.(Fender Hate Syndrome):D
    That's it! But I want to keep my warwick good loking a very long time, because wood of mine corvette is pretty soft(swamp ash)!!

8. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Hmm, why use lacquer... Isn't it more of a normal thing to spray it w/ a clear nitrocellulose finish instead?

9. fozzy

fozzy

Jun 21, 2001
    Riga, Latvia, EU
    I'm open for suggestions! :D

10. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I have never waxed mine and I am going on seven months of ownership. I have cleaned it with a slightly damp rag, but never waxed it and it appears no worse for wear.

11. E-rock

E-rock

Mar 3, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    I too have a Warwick Corvette. It was bought used, and it hadn't been waxed in Years. I emailed Warwick about refinishing my bass, and they told me to use a water base stain and a polyurethane clear finish. I haven't done it yet, but it's on my list of things to do.

12. I am pretty sure that's what they do with the Pro-line series

13. E-rock

E-rock

Mar 3, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Yeah, mine's a 1992 Corvette Proline, and I told them that when I asked about refinishing it. The wood on mine is in pretty bad shape, so I'll have to do some sanding to get the grooves out of it. I'll probably start this project later this summer.

14. while on the subject of warwick corvette's... i'm going to order a corvette standard pretty soon but i cant find any pictures of them in any other finish than natural bubinga.. i'm quite attracted to some of the finishes. does anyone know how well bubinga takes finishes? anyone have a pic of a coloured corvette standard? thanks

peace,
    scott

15. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Since your profile is emprty, I dont know which model you have
    BUT
    if you have an oilfinished bass that needs waxing, you should do it NOW!
    If you dont wax it, the wood will dry out - and thats not good

Anyway, waxing once a month or once every two months is not the end of the world - and when waxed and then rubbed of, ut sure looks pretty! ;) :cool:

16. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    I have once seen a Std in Ocean blue on e-bay Germany... :hyper: the oil-finish and the sparkling-like blue were very nice... but cant find any more pics... sorry

But bubinga is very nice on its own, too ;)

17. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
  18. fozzy

fozzy

Jun 21, 2001
    Riga, Latvia, EU
    So that's ok?
    Where can i find clear nitrocellulose finish ? Any ideas?

19. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS

No stores around here carry the was, is there an more common alternative than the Warwick stuff? I have an old wenge neck Corvette Standard 4 (96).

20. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    thats a tough one...

Many luthiers use W wax, or some even more specialized wax, so if the W wax cant be found there, chances are that the others wont also be.
    My idea would be that if you go to somewhere that has many Ws or is a W dealer, get 2-3 cans. Even one will last a couple of years, but just to be sure ;)