1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

It is possible to save this bass?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Electra Player, Mar 15, 2009.

1. I will be in possession of a 1977 Electra Outlaw MPC.
    I won't complain, as it is free, but I have a question:

The bass is a neck through.
    The neck has essentially split (only halfway down), with a large crack and a now useless headstock.
    Can this, in a hopeful circumstance, be converted to a new neck, or even bolt-neck?

If not I will find a donor bass for the electronics,and whatever else is useable and make the body into a decorative wall clock.
    No, I'm not joking.

Pics will be posted, but no idea when.

2. A decent luthier could probably glue & clamp the split (providing everything's still there) to make a fix stronger than the original - as to whether the cost would be worth it............?

3. For me, to have this bass, yes.
    Depends on if I can make a new body and use a spare bolt-on neck and go that route.

4. I think you want to repair the original neck and keep the bass intact. That's a job for a qualified luthier. I suspect that converting a neck-through to a bolt-on would cost more than fixing the existing neck.

5. I wasn't really looking at repair prices but I suspected it'd be more expensive, but if anything probably makem ore sense and be of better quality until I can do it myself adequately.
    Or at least spell adequately, adequately.
    :bassist: