Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

it is quite simple jazz solos!

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by herrera, May 20, 2003.

1. herrera

herrera

Feb 15, 2002
    i dont live from my playing but i have a thumb 5 that i consider a preatty cool bass

but that is not the pouint
    the point is that i want to play really good
    i am not a jazz person

but i like fusion and jazz ( i have pl enty of jaco and patitucci and many others records on mp3 check me on icq i will be happy to share with the talk bassers)

i want to jam a "jazzy stuff" and i can do a really cool jazz solo i did a research and i dont get it
    i mean does the walking bass methods help on the solos?
    or on the progresions?
    or bouth?
    i am willing to buy 1 book for each one for solos and one for walking lines

i will buy this one funk bass but if you have another one that is cooler than this one i will buyt it!

i mean i will buy it from bassbooks.com but i need to know what i am buying

i dont want to be mr jazz guy

but i recently download the "victor wooten with dave mathews band solo" and i want to do the stuff he does in finguer style

well i want to play like him but that is not the priority right now

and also i like a lot the solo from "fountain head" from spiral architect that is preatty jazzy to

i want to do THAT in a song it soudn jazzy but it isnt jazzy thougt

so...recomend me something! :D

2. JazZ-A-LoT

JazZ-A-LoT

Jan 5, 2003
    Sounds to me like you really want to play Vic' and you're kind of forcing Jazz, but that's beside the point. A good book for walking lines is Ed Friedland's Building Walking Bass lines or if you want just all around good theory development check out Ray Brown's Bass Method. Now for Jazz solo's, shoot about 20 cc's of heroine and buy a brown hat. Joking of course. Learn your scales inside and out, learn how to walk(half to walk before you can run) and listen to as much as you possibly can(during class or work) and most importantly of all enjoy what you're doing because if you don't you're just wasting time.

I like to think I'm deep

3. herrera

herrera

Feb 15, 2002
    well not exaclty dig a lot of wooten
    i mean he is awsome but a lot of guys that play like me only want to learn a little biut of jazz just to SOUND jazzy not to play really jazz

that was the whole point of this thread

i mean to do a really nice jazzy solo on an apropiate part like wooten did on that DMB video (i really recomend it it is on kaaza and IMESH)

like a month ago somebody ask a similar question and somebody give a page with a list of books really nice ones

one of them was something like "20 jazz solos" and the review said that learn 1 it is a complete course of soloing in jazz

i havent fount that page here in general instruction but i will

any others books more aprox to the soloing part?

4. Ari

Ari

Dec 6, 2001
    "Funk Bass" by John Liebman is a good book, but it's only about slap.

Ari

5. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I highly recommend tabs.

6. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    :eek:

7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Careful - that sort of humour will get you a load of abuse if you stumble into the wrong forum - like Effects!! :rolleyes:

8. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    I knew this was coming, sooner or later. ;)

9. reachjkh

reachjkh

Nov 21, 2002
    Lee's Summit, MO
    If you just want a quick easy way to "sound jazzy" every now and then, maybe tabs are the thing. Go memorize a solo or two and then play it whenever you want to sound "jazzy".
    Otherwise go learn your scales and spend some hours practicing improvisation over cds or by looping chord progressions on your pc. I think that you'll find the latter suggestion to be more satisfying over time.

10. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass