1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

it is time for me to lose the gut.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by jonathan_matos5, Apr 13, 2009.

1. with the exception of beer i am going on a diet. i had a salad for lunch today:eek:

i also retrieved my bicycle down from its hooks on the ceiling. my goal is to lose 10 lbs each month until i get down to 200 lbs which should happen around the end of summer.

my current routine is loading in and out a couple times a weekend. :oops: perhaps actually getting off my fat lazy butt will be more effective :p

last time i got on a scale i weighed in at 260 lbs an all time high for me. but for some reason people keep asking if i lost weight. :confused:

2. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    That's a lot of weight to lose and not a lot of time to do it in. Don't be discouraged if you can't do it fast enough. If it takes you the end of the summer, or a whole year, keep at it.

3. last time i went on a diet i lost weight quite rapidly but in the end not having a goal is what made me give up. as long as my pants are too big by the end of summer ill be happy.

4. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    Also understand that wight loss ins't a steady process. It's common for the body to shed 15 or more pounds in the first month of an abrupt change to a lower calorie diet and then to not lose any weight at all the next month even though you're still on the same diet because your metabolism changes to account for the change in intake.

Starting an exercise program will do something similar. You'll lose weight by burning calories from fat but after several months you start to build muscle mass. This is a good thing but it shows up on the scale as extra weight and it makes you think you aren't making progress.

The most successful way to permanent weight loss is to alter your diet to a healthy and nutritious one that won't necessarily make you lose weight fast but is one you can maintain for years to come and slowly reduce your weight to normal. The same thing with exercise. You don't want to train like a madman in order to burn off as many calories as possible. You're better off in the long run getting a moderate amount of exercise per week that you can be comfortable with and not burn yourself out.

5. lowendmafia

lowendmafia Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2007
    Sacramento, California
    Low calorie diets do not work, period. The reason your body loses weight at the beginning is because it is functioning on your current basal metabolic rate (BMR) which is essentially how many calories your body burns in a 24 hour period if you were to lie down and not without sleeping. When your body adjusts to the lower caloric intake your BMR will drop significantly and you will end up with less energy and the same weight. Eat healthy and eat often to keep your metabolism up and the best calorie destroyer the body has is lean muscle mass, the more you build the more calories you will burn. I am not just shooting off at the mouth, I am an ISSA certified personal trainer and soon to be IKFF certified kettlebell trainer who deals with this misconception everyday. There is much more to the equation, but these are essential, plus you will be more fit, have more energy and feel better on a daily basis.

6. im weaning myself off of fried foods and eating less fast food as my diet i doubt it will be much of a diet but more of eating healthier foods. you know baked potato instead of fries type choices. and not adding cheese bacon and a large fries to my order. :)

7. machine gewehr

machine gewehr

Sep 17, 2005
    Istanbul
    Not to discourage you but,I went vegan 1.5 years ago.My calories per day almost downed to 1k or less than that.I sometimes don't have the power to go out.But I'm a heavy beer drinker and I gained 10 kilos after that.You gotta lay off some beer,speaking of experience.;)

8. i don't drink a lot of beer but i will never drink light beer.

9. machine gewehr

machine gewehr

Sep 17, 2005
    Istanbul
    What is light beer? ;)

If you don't drink too much its ok then.A man must not stop drinking beer no matter what.:p

10. DanRJBrasil

DanRJBrasil

Jun 10, 2007
    I am a slim guy but when I am in mood for some beers I do sure get some weight, last year I lost 25 pounds just cutting the alcohol, mostly beer

11. Try posting in the gym and weightlifting thread, you'll get plenty of encouragement with whatever your fitness goals :)

12. I will say that dont let your overall goal be to lose weight. Let it be to get healthier and eat healthier. I say that because there are alot of ppl how go out and want to lose a certain amount of weight, and when they dont make it, they give up. If you concentrate on eating better and being healthier, the weight will be alot easier to lose. Youre on the right track though. Another tip is try not to eat any carbs after 6-7pm. Since your metabolism slows as the day progresses, its more likely that they will be stored as fat. Drink water, drink water, and drink water. :)

13. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Do some sort of weight bearing exercise.

It's a well-proven fact that weight bearing exercise keeps your metabolism higher for a longer period of time than cardio. Building muscle also helps because muscle burns fat. More muscle=more fat burned.

14. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    +1

A lot of people don't get this, but it's 100% true. (Unless you're doing really hard cardio for a really long time)

Also, I hate to say it, but a few beers is a real killer- Moreso than a few burgers.

15. Zombbg4

Zombbg4

Jul 15, 2008
    Olympia,Wa
    If you haven't already, cut soda from your diet. Soda is horrible stuff really, it doesn't hydrate you, only quenches your thirst temporarily, and loads you up with sugar. Substitute it with something like lightly sweetened green tea or something.

16. jonathan-
    Congrats on taking control of your health. You'll feel better, you'll play better....
    Just give it some time and keep at it!

17. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    +1

as usual, Pac's right on...

18. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Northern California
    It's funny to me that people get so caught up in trying to determine the technical issues of weight loss.

Less energy expended than energy taken in as food = energy stored as fat

More energy expended than energy taken in as food = fat burned to make up the difference.

Pretty simple really.

The real problem with people trying to lose weight in this country is that they do it in a very temporary fashion, changing their diet in a way they'll never sustain for short term gains. And so of course they don't last.

19. +1

A few years ago I wasn't very healthy and every time I tried getting into shape, I quit. Then I got a job 2 years ago that keeps me really active and because of that I HAD to change the way that I eat and the things that I do. Now I am in great shape (sitting around 8% body fat), I play sports and I eat healthy. I feel better, I look better and I am happier because of it.

Now in September I am going back to school, so I have to cut 1000 calories out of my diet for it, and start going to the gym. But that will be much easier now, because I am used to being active.

lowsound

20. Cut the calorific intake. Increase activity. Include resistance training (weights) aswell as cardio. Look into things like high intensity interval training (HIIT). And keep at it. Don't just give it up when you hit your goal.

I've dropped from 270 at the start of febuary to 240 now. And that's with a bit of a dip in the diet and gym going over the past 3 weeks :) . Also managed to keep my strength up, tis all good!