Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

it just doesn't want to do what i want it to

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Leeon, Jan 28, 2006.

1. alright, i play a 2003 musicman stingray. Recently i've been trying to get my setup just right. the musicman sight has little to offer in the ways of factory measurements in relief and string height as far as i have found. regardless, i set it up according to the fender setup guide on their site (very informative). now here's my issue, the upper register creates a chorus all by itself. it's rather weird. there's also a little buzzing, but it seems that my action needs to be much higher then it should to rid the neck of any buzzing. my main concern however is the chorus-like sound occuring. i've been tightening the truss-rod to flatten my neck. (according to the fender sight the relief i had was quite a bit more then it should be) but i just want to lower my action without the buzzing or upper-register phenomena that is occuring. any thoughts on what may be happening? any and help ideas are appreciated.

2. that is, any and ALL ideas are appreciated. (guess that's why there's a preview button)

3. Lower the pickup away from the strings. The magnetic field can interfere with the vibration of the strings, causing the chorus effect.

4. thank you, i actually did that about 30 seconds after i posted this and it was precisely the problem. guess i should have had a little more patience. thanks anyway though.

5. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Instrument Technician, Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    Good call ddnidd1! This kind of problem is way too common. In the last six months I have had to correct the same problem on 3 instruments (2 basses, one guitar) where the owners tried to adjust their instruments for lower action without adjusting the pickups properly.