Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

It looks like a Gibson EB3 "SG" style bass...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by B-NoteCowboy, Jul 14, 2004.

1. But it doesn't say "Gibson" anywhere on it.

I mean it looks EXACTLY like one though. I picked this up in a pawn shop for $50 about 13 years ago and never thought much about it. Upgraded to a newer bass almost instantly and always assumed it to be an off brand of some kind. But I really think it is a vintage Gibson.

No serial number on the back of the head, but there is one on the back of the body and it has an SG in it. Would anyone here know one if I posted a pic of it?

2. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Post a pic and we'll find out.

3. ESP Eden

ESP Eden

Feb 9, 2004
    washington mo
    +1

4. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    There were hundreds of copies of Gibson basses floating around in the 70's. Most of them were made somewhere in the Orient, although there were some North American companies in that market too. Chances are, if it doesn't say Gibson on it, it's an imported copy.

5. Ayup, and if the SN is on the body, and has letters in it, it's not a Gibbie.
    But considering how much the "real thing" goes for these days, a lot of players are turning on to offshore 'ho's. Google "Greco" with "Gibson copy" in there someplace and see what you find.

6. Another dead-nuts tip off is if the bass is a bolt on. Quite a few of the asian imports seemed to pass over this detail from the original set-necks.

7. Well shiznit.... looks like a bolt on. Thanks for the info guys.
    :cool:

8. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

When they did the open headstock on those was the logo still on the headstock?.

9. Yeah, the logo was still on the headstock.

10. MAJOR METAL

11. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

My guess - an Electra....good value bass for bargain basement bucks. They were better than "Apollo" IME.

If you see a tiny place where there are "wrinkles" or mars in the polyurethane finish, that's what I experienced.

So what ? I used it with a huge-ass amp and made lots of money with my EB-3 copy.

12. MAJOR METAL

I thoght that Apollo , Univox and Electra were all made in the same factory?.