1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

It may be blashpemy

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Slocum138, Mar 30, 2011.

1. Slocum138

Slocum138

Mar 26, 2011
    I purchased a jazz bass off eBay for 220$ It is a 3 color bust and the guy wasnt sure if it was made in Mexico or not. The decal on the headstock had been scratched off but it left a tan line of the fender logo an I could see that the serial numbers started with a m. I took the neck off and the body and neck were both stamped april 1994. I figured that it was a Mexican made bass but I could care either way, the bass played well and felt great. I decided since I hadn't invested much into it that I would make some changes/ upgrades. That way not only would it handle well but also sound exactly how I wanted it. I am installing 2 Seymour Duncan baseline musicman pick ups and adding a 3 channel passive/ active preamp. Genuine schaller tuners replaced my low end ones. And I'm switching out the bridge for a full contact babicz. I'm sure some will respond, if you like the musicman sound, why not just buy one, but I like the look and feel of the jazz bass and just made everything I wanted to a t in under 1000.00

2. Slocum138

Slocum138

Mar 26, 2011
    And I realize I spelled blasphemy wrong :)

3. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Sounds like good upgrades to me.

4. Big_Daddy

Big_Daddy

Nov 24, 2010
    Central Alberta
    Pics or such a bass doesn't exist.

Also, whatever makes you happy. There are some 'upgrades' people do that make me cringe, but this isn't one of them.

5. Slocum138

Slocum138

Mar 26, 2011
    Thanks! As soon as I complete it, I'll post a pic. ( waiting on the bridge to ship.) also I'm refinishing the headstock After putting a new decal on. But I will ASAP

6. Slocum138

Slocum138

Mar 26, 2011
    Bridge installed and headstock refinished . I'll install the pickups, preamp and tuners and post pics when finished.

Attached Files:

7. Slax

Slax

Nov 5, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    Sounds like some cool upgrades to me! Can't wait to see the final product.

8. cottonfever

cottonfever

Dec 4, 2008
    Dont worry,Mexican Fender's dont count when being re-sold,make all the mods you want ,keeping it original really only applies to older basses,sig models or Custom shop basses,Mex is a bass really not seen as a value holding bass and since no-one really goes nuts over older models, its not really hurting a bass thats in demand.

9. Slocum138

Slocum138

Mar 26, 2011
    Just installed pickups, with a little help from a dremel. Checked out spacing and this should be close to what I want. Preamp is next

Attached Files:

10. Slocum138

Slocum138

Mar 26, 2011
    Preamp was a little bit of a pain. A well cut pickguard will complete this, gonna take my time since this part is solely about ascetic. More pics when it's finished( I am aware that I am the only one who gives a **** at this point)

Attached Files:

11. Im interested. Keep me updated.

12. Want blasphemy? Here goes: that's the first jazz bass I've ever been interested in.. awesome looks with the double MMs. Black pick guard?

13. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    That was quite a good one actually!:D

14. Slocum138

Slocum138

Mar 26, 2011
    And..... Done.

Attached Files:

15. gidbass

gidbass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    except for strings...;)

Looks great, how does it sound?

16. SactoBass

SactoBass A retired civil engineer who likes all-tube amps! Supporting Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Lake Havasu City, AZ
    That is cool!

17. That looks badass.

I'm curious to know what you think of the Babicz bridge once you've got strings on and you've played it for a bit.

18. Slocum138

Slocum138

Mar 26, 2011
    Hahaha, yes I still need to string it. I'll plug in and give an honest review as well.

19. Rush-2112

Rush-2112

Dec 14, 2008
    New York City
    Wow. That looks amazing!

20. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Supporting Member

Looks quite cool I think

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 7, 2021