Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

It only took 20 years

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Chasarms, Dec 17, 2003.

1. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    It may come off as a bit arrogant, but it was so weird, I have to share.

I did a benefit concert with a local singer/songwriter last Friday. It was he on acoustic guitar. We had a flute, violin, another guitar, aux percussionist and a guy on kit.

I didn't know most of the players before rehearsal, but in hearing it, they were all KILLER players. Their credentials were impressive.

We did a couple of Peter Mayer tunes, eight or so original Christmas songs that he had written and another dozen or so traditional Christmas songs that he had put some interesting twists in the arrangements.

I worked my tail off for this thing. I had lead sheets and scratch tracks a few days in front for the original stuff (no bass lines at all on the scratch tracks) but is was all fairly complicated stuff.

The singer/songwriter is also an awesome guitarist and does mostly sort of a new-age jazz fusion type of thing. But at the same time classically influenced. It's hard to bottle, but it pushed me pretty hard.

I played about half the stuff on bass guitar and the other half on db. I basically played my rear off. I gave it all it was worth.

The show was awesome, but anyway here's the point. When we were introduced near the end of the show, I got noticeably the most generous round of applause from the crowd. I was happy with the way I played, but everyone else was equally outstanding.

In all my years, that has NEVER happened to me.

Best of all though, we were able to cut a check for $6K to children's charities.

2. Where was the show in St. Louis? I would have come :)

3. DB5

DB5

Jul 3, 2001
    Austin Texas
    Congrats Chasarms, something to be proud of thats for sure. ;)

4. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Hi Chasarms, that sounds like a cool gig! Yeah it's nice to be appreciated. It's funny that sometimes there's little relationship to the level of effort, like you can play your heart and soul out and not be appreciated for it, and another night you can just goof off and people think you're God. One thing I've discovered though, is that it has more to do with how many beers "they" have than how many "I" have! :)

5. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    About time one of our own got some props..congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!