Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

IT question

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by LiquidMidnight, Jul 22, 2004.

1. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    How much time, if any, should I devote to Windows NT while studying for the Network Essentials MCSE quiz? Also, how much is there on the test about Server 2003 and .Net Server?

2. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
  3. Humblerumble

Humblerumble

Feb 22, 2004
    VA.
    I didn't know there was still a Networking Essentials test in the MCSE. I took it when I got my MCSE in NT, but I thought that info was covered in some of the other exams now. I would think the only thing that you would need to know about NT would be the upgrade procedures to Win2k or 2003, or NT servers in Active Directory domains.

4. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Hmm, that could be true. I'm trying to check the official MCSE site to see what all of the exams are, but I'm not finding any information.

5. Humblerumble

Humblerumble

Feb 22, 2004
    VA.
  6. grovest

grovest

Feb 26, 2002
    Oregon
    Most of the better books will give a breakdown of what percentage to expect of what topics on the tests. Sorry, but I haven't read one lately, but that was the case a few years ago. I agree that if any time is devoted to NT Server (now two versions old and with support ending from MS), it will be spent on upgrading to AD.

.Net server was the working code name for Windows 2003 server, by the way. The next version is currently operating under the name 'Longhorn Server' or 'Server Longhorn', obviously relating to the next major version of Windows desktop.

Best thing you can do is just get a copy and install it. If you are going to school, there is a possibility you can obtain one through MSDNAA, depending on if your institution has a subscription. If you are a private individual I think there is a demo available for download somewhere.

7. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    They all float down here. THEY ALL FLOAT.

oh.

8. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Cool, thanks for the info. I actually have a demo of .net. (I recieved it a Microsoft convention, while I was working for this IT company) It looks like I'll be needing to go down and check out some of the new MCSE books.

9. grovest

grovest

Feb 26, 2002
    Oregon
    You really don't want to study with pre-release software (and just trust me, '.net' does not refer to Windows Server 2003 anymore than it refers to Managed Code, Passports, etc).

Look here for a 180 day download of Windows Server 2003 trial: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/evaluation/trial/default.mspx

10. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Coolness, again thank you.

I'm still going to read through through my Networking Essentials book, since it still has some concepts that are universal, (media types, topologies, ect.) then I'm going to look into some new MCSE material.

11. grovest

grovest

Feb 26, 2002
    Oregon
    Good luck. Make sure and post here when you pass your cert!

12. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    am i the only one who saw the title of the thread and thought it was about the book?

13. BABY J

BABY J

Jul 9, 2004
    Columbia, SC
    Sorry, I'ma UNIX Engineer for a company called SAIC... no NT stuff... CCNA and call it a day. Well, we WORK w/ NT... but we don't enough to get a cert... sorrry.