1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

It seemed longer in my memory.

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Feb 23, 2020.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis

It just seemed like in my memory, the bass solo on Champagne Jam was longer than it actually was. I guess it seemed long because I was not expecting it at all. On the good side, dude, the late Paul Goddard, had some awesome Rickenbacker clank going on!:bassist:

Last edited: Feb 23, 2020
  2. grillman

grillman

Dec 15, 2014
    That’s what (s)he said.

I’ll see myself out...
    While listening to that great tune.

3. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    When I wrote that title, I thought about a sex scene in the movie, “New Jack City.” My friend remembered the lady being generously proportioned. When he the saw the film again on DVD, he realized her physique had been exaggerated in his memory.

As for the ARS bassist, I know he took some epic live solos. I will look for some on YouTube.

4. grillman

grillman

Dec 15, 2014
    I’m really digging the tone.
    It’s a short but nice solo.
    They say size doesn’t matter...
    ... “They” being the shortscale players

5. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis

This is a long one!

6. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    It is interesting how so many Atlanta Rhythm Section fans say the group should have been bigger than they were. The remind me a bit of Toto, extremely proficient musicians who produced “slick” music. In Rock, there are those who see that combination as inauthentic.

7. jerry

jerry Too old for a hiptrip Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I've always dug them and Paul Goddard's ric-pic playing. ARS and Toto hit around the same time as punk hit and there was a bit of a backlash from the two camps. I could never figure out why with some people it had to be either/or, music is a huge menu, why leave some of it off your plate.

BassinCT, lomo, jchrisk1 and 7 others like this.
  8. 'Not Gonna Let It Bother Me Tonight' has always been on my short list. Great players.

MonetBass, Winslow and RocknRay like this.
  9. dennis james

dennis james

Jun 30, 2018
    chicago area
    Saw ARS at the old Chicago Stadium (RIP) in the late 70's. As I recall they were the opening act for Kansas. The bass player used a P bass their entire set. The whole band was really good but the guy that impressed me the most was the lead guitarist. That guy was a master of tasty licks. Didn't overplay.

Martin Spure, jamro217 and Dr. Cheese like this.
  10. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    The plate and menu thing is a nice analogy.

Martin Spure likes this.
  11. BergerHead

BergerHead plastic phantastic

Aug 22, 2018
    Basel, Switzerland
    Don't know the ARS very well, it sounds like mix of Wishbone Ash and 10cc to me ... any others? :smug:

12. jamro217

jamro217 Supporting Member

Such a fantastic band. If you get the chance, check out the live version of "Spooky". Barry Bailey is one of the most creative guitarists ever, Paul Goddard was a monster, Dean Daughtry was great (AFAIK he's still touring with ARS), J. R. Cobb was one solid rhythm guitarist, and Ronnie Hammond not only sang, but played guitar and wrote songs. Even the original drummer Robert Nix wrote. To really appreciate them you must dig into their album cuts. Their hits were good, but some of their more obscure works were phenomenal. Another great southern rock band that never got their due was Sea Level.

13. Martin Spure

Martin Spure

Feb 4, 2020
    Denmark
    Hell yeah !!! Wow, man this is bloody brilliant. Fantastic and groovy playing. I'm blown away ! The skills, timekeeping, vibe, playfulness and sheer joy these guys are showing just made my day ! - actually: my entire week :hyper: Although a completely different style, it sort of reminds me of The Meters, which I really dig and like to play.. It's the same kind of 'energy', me thinks..You can just tell that ARS are having a Ball when they are playing.. Jaysus, Mary 'n' @&@$ Joseph, I love this !!

I now have a 'new' band to discover :thumbsup:. As a Scandinavian coming from a jazz/double bass background, I'm embarrassed to admit that this awesome band has gone completely under my radar. I don't recall ever hearing of them before (despite being schooled from one of the top-level music institutions in my country - I guess my music history teacher has failed miserably in omitting to mention these brilliant musicians :laugh:).

Thank you so much, Dr. Cheese, for bringing my attention to the Atlanta Rhythm Section (I owe ya one :thumbsup: :thumbsup: !!)

All the best :bassist:

14. jerry

Dec 13, 1999
    I loved Sea Level, I always thought what a great band, they rocked and they did great instrumentals

roccobass, jamro217 and Martin Spure like this.
  15. jamro217

jamro217 Supporting Member

Are you familiar with the Icelandic band MezzoForte?

Martin Spure and jerry like this.
  16. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I am glad you like them!

jamro217 and Martin Spure like this.
  17. jerry

Dec 13, 1999
    Wow, I have their Playing For Time album in my stacks, but never realized they were from Iceland. pre-internet days I guess.

jamro217 likes this.
  18. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    When I was a student at the University of Georgia, I saw Sea Level when they played a show in Athens. They were a great band. I saw the Dixie Dregs too, and of course, they were fantastic.

bobba66, jamro217 and jerry like this.
  19. Fresh flat wounds on Paul Goddard’s Ric? The whole band was so into tone and time and clean pickin’!

Martin Spure and Dr. Cheese like this.
  20. Martin Spure

Martin Spure

Feb 4, 2020
    Denmark
    @jamro217 : Yes, they were (relatively) big in Denmark in the 90's, and - as I recall - they were even in the top-10 radio charts back then. Great band, but a little - how should I put it - too 'polished' to my liking, back then (I was in my early 20's and they were considered to be a bit 'pop'ish amongst us jazz-snobs). Nonetheless, they were all very skilled and impeccable musicians. Some Danish jazz/fusion bands emerged in the wake of Mezzoforte, and became quite popular in the Danish jazz-scene back then. They were highly 'influenced' by Mezzoforte.

What speaks to me, though - regarding ARS - is the sort of 'tight - yet loose' approach they show.. I just listened to the great clips that Jerry posted above, - and man, these guys are f'n' nailing it. I mean, What was I doing listening to Weather Report, when these contemporary guys where cookin' !! (No offense to WR or Jaco, they where a huge influence for me)

It's almost like being a teenager again - you discover this new band, and suddenly everything seems to be just fine again. :hyper:

Cutter8, Spectrum, jamro217 and 2 others like this.