1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

It Seems I'm Finally Getting an Ampeg SVT CL - But What Cab Should I Get?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Imaginos, Jan 27, 2012.

1. Imaginos

Imaginos

Jun 20, 2010
    As some of you may have noticed, I was first going to get myself an SVT-7 Pro because it emulated the tube tone quite faithfully. Well, I thought I'd still sleep on it and after a couple of days I realized that I don't want yet another hybrid head. Instead, I want something close to what people actually used on those classic albums that have that sweet tubey tone. The next day I started hunting for Ampeg SVT CLs and VRs I came upon a really sweet deal for an used CL - HOORAY! Now, the deal isn't yet done so I may have to wait a bit longer but I need to figure out a matching cab anyway so I thought I'd better start searching today!

So, when I was still considering the SVT-7, I was going to order an Ampeg SVT-410HE. Since that cab is rated at 8 ohms, it won't work with CL (unless I buy a pair which I can't afford). I'd love to go with just one 410 cab but I guess I could do with two 210s too. It's a damn shame the 410HLF sounds too dark and muddy for my tastes whereas the 410HE would've been perfect.

My budget is around 700 - 800 dollars / euros. What would you guys recommend? I'd love to get something from Ampeg but it seems the HLF and two SVT-210AVs would be my only options then. :bawl:

Also, I'd love to hear what kind of flight cases you guys use with your CLs. :hyper:

2. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    This is the case that I use.
    SVT

3. StuartV

StuartV Finally figuring out what I really like Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    My preference would be an Ampeg 810.

But, since I don't have room for that right now, I use my SVT with an Aguilar GS410 4 ohm, or an Aguilar GS210 and GS115 together (8 ohms each), or all 3 cabs together (2 ohms total, that way). Any of those 3 options sound great. It just depends on how loud I want to be.

4. Imaginos

Imaginos

Jun 20, 2010
    Thanks for the replies so far! I should've made myself more clear though: a 810 isn't an option because I can't fit it inside our car which would make gigging with it impossible. One 410 or two 210s are my only options. :meh:

5. MK1

MK1

Nov 23, 2009
    Grand Rapids, MI
    How long has it been since you've tried one? The cabs being made now are so much brighter than they were from about 1998-2007 give or take a year. I had completely sworn off Ampeg because that is in the time period I started playing bass, but I just bought a 2009 810e and it is by far my favorite cab. You should give the HLF a second shot.

6. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    I hear the Bergantino NV610 is a great match
    or Sadowsky SA410
    ...your price if you find a used one.