Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

it seems like fresh strings are more important

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by kyo, Jul 21, 2004.

1. kyo

kyo

Jul 6, 2004
    yeah, i always thought that the strings made a difference, but in the end a squier will always be a squier, a fender always a fender, etc. but it seems like the absolute most important thing is the string quality. i boiled my strings last night and GOD did it ever make a difference. it sounds great and to me made a bigger impact then if i bought a new fender jazz altogether.

ive got nothing to say, but i felt like posting :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

2. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Strings certainly shouldn't be neglected when trying to improve your sound. A new set of strings can also fix things like intonation problems. A while ago my electro-acoustic (non-adjustable bridge) sounded depressingly bad with the intonation being all over the place; a new set of strings and it was alive and in tune again!

An average instrument with a good set of strings may well sound better than a top dollar instrument with old and worn strings. Since all basses need string changes from time to time it's probably a better idea to buy instruments that don't stretch you to your financial limits but leave some money in the budget for occasional string changes.

Wulf